Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did I lose all my data during the repair?

I recently took my macbook air to the genius bar where they replaced my ssd drive. However, when I turned on my computer I saw that my old files were no longer there. Is there a way to recover my old files?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 5:14 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2013 6:02 PM in response to danielleyyboo

Hopefully you had a backup of your data. The two most common backup techniques are time machine (using a time capsule from Apple or an external hard drive) and backup programs that copy the disk to an archival storage medium such as another hard disk. In either case it's possible to recover the data from that backup.

If you don't have a backup, you are out of luck, though any apps bought on the App store can be recovered by associating your apple ID with your new account on the new SSD and then using the App store to redownload them. Also any programs you have DVDs or CDs for you can reinstall manually. You will have to remember all your passwords and set up your email on your own though. Next time though, do yourself a favor and have at least 1 backup. The easiest is to buy a time capsule (or an airport time capsule) from apple and just set it up to backup your computer once you have it up. It will do it all in the background, you'll never be the wiser. Mine is running right now.

If you did lose your data, I'm sorry but take it as a lesson for next time. I've seen a person with his only copy of a screenplay on an old computer with a dodgy hard drive who never backed it up and periodically had to bang on the drive to get it to spin up. Having an additional offsite backup is an additional worthwhile precaution. Good luck,

Did I lose all my data during the repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.