Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clean imac superdrive

How can I clean my IMAC superdrive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 6:41 PM

Please do not download and install any of the applications that claim to clean a Mac.

In my testing of them I have found them either to worthless because they fail to do what they claim or the do a bunch of dangerous stuff without any warning what so ever.

I recommend using OmniDiskSweeper. It will tell you the files and folders that are using the most disk space so the you can decide what can be deleted safely or move to external storage.

Allan

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2013 6:41 PM in response to clkimminau

Please do not download and install any of the applications that claim to clean a Mac.

In my testing of them I have found them either to worthless because they fail to do what they claim or the do a bunch of dangerous stuff without any warning what so ever.

I recommend using OmniDiskSweeper. It will tell you the files and folders that are using the most disk space so the you can decide what can be deleted safely or move to external storage.

Allan

Jul 7, 2013 7:19 PM in response to clkimminau

I have no idea why the host removed my post but I will repost.

You use a CD/DVD drive cleaning disc or some have had luck just blowing compressed air in the slot and others have used a microfiber cloth on a business card inserted into the drive and moved around.

Supposedly I volated something but I see this same thing posted by other member about cleaning the DVD Superdrive.

Please Host read my post before you remove it. And Please post what was against the TOU in my post. Thanks.

clkimminau wrote:

How can I clean my IMAC superdrive?

Jul 7, 2013 8:05 PM in response to clkimminau

I would NOT...repeat WOULD NOT use compressed air OR use the microfiber cloth over a credit card method.!!!

The fist method will only add and, potentially, push in more dust, lint and dirt.

The microfiber cloth over a credit card could, potentially, damage the lens or the something in the entire mechanism of the drive.

The best method is to use one of the commercially available dry brush CD/DVD cleaning discs.

Jul 8, 2013 2:16 AM in response to MichelPM

I only suggest the Business card method because another member says it has worked for others.

OGELTHORPE Emerald City, Oz

In addition to the DVD cleaning disk suggested by Allan Jones, if you have compressed air, shoot that in the clot. You may also wrap a fine microfiber cloth (eyeglass lens cleaning cloth) around a business card and gently push it inside the slot.

Ciao.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5153405?answerId=22424895022#22424895022

clean imac superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.