Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the delete key on the keyboard go backward? How can I make it go the other way?

I'm used to a PC keyboard that enables me to delete characters from where my cursor it to the next space to the right. The keyboard I have with my Mac, alas, is frustrating for me to use because it goes backwards from what I am used to. Is there a fix to this? My PC keyboard has a backspace button in addition to the delete button, so it is very straightforward for me that way.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), This is a cordless keyboard

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 11:54 PM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2013 12:12 AM in response to LenoreColorado

The delete key, if the cursor is placed mid sentence, will remove letters etc forwards from that cursor point. If you are deleting from the end of a sentence, the backward facing long arrow above the return key will delete backwards from that point.

For groups of letters or sentences, highlight them and press delete.

It is one of those situations where you should learn the new approach because the rest of the system is geared to it.

Message was edited by: seventy one

Why does the delete key on the keyboard go backward? How can I make it go the other way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.