Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 4 file import is broken

For the last week or so, it's been impossible to import anything into a Motion 4 project. Whether you use the "import" button or drag and drop, Motion will hang indefinitely. If you layer up all your assets in the FCP timeline and then used "send to Motion", that works, but if you try and import anything while you're in the Motion project, it will just hang.

I trashed the prefs, didn't fix it. I removed and reinstalled Motion, didn't fix it. I removed and reinstalled the entire FCS suite, didn't fix it.

Since reinstalling FCS didn't help, I can only assume that the most recent security update for 10.6.8 broke something, since that was the last thing I changed on my Mac before the import function stopped working. Anybody else have any insight?

Motion 4, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 10:10 AM

12 replies

Jul 10, 2013 12:29 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

I've already tried importing things from different drives. Still no difference. I'll try the new account thing though.

EDIT - working from a new account didn't fix it either. I think my only option now is to reinstall OSX and *not* install the 2013-003 security update. Well, that or buy Motion 5, which I don't want to have to do, since I'd have to learn the new interface and it doesn't really offer me anything I'd actually use over and above Motion 4.

Jul 10, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Gareth Randall2

well if you have to do the reinstall thing, here's a user tip on best practices

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2861

Once you've got things working again, I'd suggest you create a bootable "clone" of your startup drive, so you can quickly restore your startup drive from the clone if things go south.

Wait, how did you uninstall the fcp suite? The best way is to use Digital Rebellion's uninstaller. It's free

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

Motion 4 file import is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.