Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import Project to iMovie

I dragged a project out of iMovie to the desktop, but can not figure out how to import it back to the iMovie event or project.

After I dragged it from iMovie, I deleted the project from iMovie but now want to import it back into iMovie.

The desktop icon ends with ".rcproject".

When I open the desktop icon, it shows Project, Proxies, & QuickLook.

When I open iMovie and try to import the project, it shows on the desktop but is dimmed.

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 11:32 AM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2013 8:05 PM in response to David L Gerber

When source clip is missing, it usually means you have moved, deleted, or renamed the Event folders which are used by the Project. It could also mean that you have moved, deleted, or renamed some music or photos that were used in the project.

The solution is usually to move them back where they were.

You can think of iMovie as a database. The Project is a text file in hexadecimal that contains the paths to the event clips that are used, as well as in and out points, titles, links to music, links to photos, etc.

The physical clips are kept in the Event.

If you move stuff around in the Finder, the project does not know where to find it.

If you need to move Events or Projects, follow the instructions here.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4141

If any of that rings a bell for you, tell us more about what you did and maybe we can suggest a fix.

May 3, 2014 8:13 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi i'm having a similar problem with iMovie V11.

Accidently I putted to trash all my iMovie folders (iMovie Original Movies, iMovie Projects, iMovie Events...) so i could get more available space but i had not deleted them.

So later when I opened my iMovie application, i saw all my projects gone. Fortunantly they were all in trash so i restored them all and putted them back to the destop. However i'm experiencing a problem: my iMovie projects are not in the iMovie application. Can you please help me get them back to the iMovie Application? It's really important.

Can't import Project to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.