Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire device connections?

if I was to get a new MacBook Pro, would I still be able to use my Firewire 400 hard drive? this drive only has 2 Firewire 400 connections and has my entire iTunes library on it. any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 12:24 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2013 12:39 PM in response to sig

well, it appears that the Mac Mini still has a firewire connection, but the newest MacBook Pros and MacBooks come with 2 thunderbolt ports, so, that is not going to work unless there is some way to connect firewire to thunderbolt...?

(PS) my current MacBook Pro has a Firewire 800 port, so I already have the 400 to 800 cable that I'm currently using, but, my teacher stated that firewire is obsolete now that usb 3.0 is out

Jul 8, 2013 12:53 PM in response to Arhsmacdude

firewire is obsolete now that usb 3.0 is out

Nonsense. It is not obsolete until a long time after no more FireWire devices are being made, new. And that is certainly not the case today.

Any FireWire equipment you own still performs perfectly well. I expect to buy FireWire external drives for the forseeable future.

I have devices that do not support USB-3. USB-3 has too much overhead for my liking. USB-3 also seems to be having trouble with Hubs and cabling.

Firewire device connections?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.