Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have created an 100 page booklet in Pages, with many photographs, can I export it to ePub, and make an electronic book, because it says that "Note: The Pages document must have been created using a word processing template"?

I have created an 100 page booklet in Pages, with many photographs, and much written word, can I export it to ePub, and make an electronic book, because it says that "Note: The Pages document must have been created using a word processing template"?....

Basically what I want to do is publish the document into both an eDocument, and a hard copy document. What is the best way to do this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 1:30 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2013 1:44 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

No Peter, this statement came right off the Apple ePub statement when outlining how to use ePub. the full context is:

Creating ePub files with Pages

Summary

Learn how to create ePub files with Pages.

Products Affected

Pages '09

ePub is an open ebook standard produced by the International Digital Publishing Forum. Pages ’09 lets you export your documents in ePub format for reading with iBooks on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

iBooks supports both ePub and PDF file formats, and you can export both from Pages.

When to use ePub or PDF

• Use ePub when text is the most important part of your document, for example when you create a book, a report, a paper, a thesis, or classroom reading material.
  • More details on using ePub
  • Use PDF when layout is the most important part of your document, for example when you create a brochure, a flyer, or a manual with multiple illustrations.
  • More details on using PDF

Creating an ePub Document to Read in iBooks

You can export any Pages word processing document to the ePub file format for reading in an ePub reader, such as the iBooks application on the iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Documents created in page layout templates can’t be exported to the ePub format.
Documents exported to ePub format will look different than their Pages counterparts. If you want to get the best document fidelity between the Pages and ePub formats, style your Pages document with paragraph styles and other formatting attributes allowed in an ePub file. A sample document is provided on the Apple Support site that features styles and guidelines to help you create a Pages document that’s optimized for export to the ePub file format, which you can use as a template or a guide. To learn more about using paragraph styles in Pages, see the topics under the heading “Working with Styles” in the Pages built-in help.
To read your ePub document in iBooks on your mobile device, you must transfer the ePub file that you create onto your device.
To use the “ePub Best Practices” sample document
To learn more about using the ePub format and get a better feel for how a Pages document might appear as a book in iBooks, it’s a good idea to download the “ePub Best Practices” sample document. After reading the guidelines and instructions within the document, you can use it as a template to create your own document. You can also import the styles from the sample document into a new document you create.

1. Download the “ePub Best Practices” sample document at the following web address:
    http://images.apple.com/support/pages/docs/ePub_Best_Practices_EN.zip
  2. Do either of the following:Use the sample document as a template.Import the paragraph styles from the sample document into a new or existing Pages document.
  3. Export the document you create to ePub format to see how it looks in iBooks.

Preparing an existing Pages document for export to ePub format

Documents exported to the ePub format automatically appear with page breaks before every chapter. A table of contents is automatically generated, which allows readers to jump quickly to any chapter title, heading, or subheading in the book. In order to create a meaningful table of contents, it’s important to apply appropriate styles within your document. The ePub reader uses the paragraph styles to determine which items should appear in the table of contents for your book.

Note: The Pages document must have been created using a word processing template.

Jul 8, 2013 2:24 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

All I have done is create this 100 pages document in Pages... I want to communicate it at the best possible quality to about 30 people who are involved, some dont have computers or are not very computer literate, so I also want to print it in a a hard copy version also. There are many photographs and text... I have used the Pages templates for a newsletter to create it .. (never used pages before)... Now I have almost finished it I am thinking about "getting it out there" to those for whom it is intended. My reading of the info on the ePub web site is that I should use PDF. I have made a PDF and it is gigabites ... far to big to email.... also the quality has declined considerably.... Maybe I should not bother with ePub... I just dont know the best solution. And my first problem was to understand what they meant by saying the Pages document must be created using a word processing template.... because I used a template provided by Pages! Sorry it just is not clear.... but if you understand my problems, perhaps you can suggest the best way to distribute this creation!

Jul 8, 2013 2:39 PM in response to William Bronte

A Word Processing template has text that flows from page to page in the main text area, which is important in an ePub because it reflows text and content to fit screen sizes and different font sizes and spacing.

A Layout template is better suited to designs with a lot of layout eg Newsletters and is useless for ePubs unless you export to pdf in which case it has no flexible layout, it remains fixed and type can not be changed or resized.

100 pages with a lot of photographs is inevitably going to be a large file, all you can do is minimise the size, by cropping all the photos to match how they appear in the document and set the final (in document) resolution to the absolute minimum tolerable. jpegs can be made smaller with a little bit of blurring and setting the quality level lower, but the more you do the worse the image gets. Web designers have other techniques, such as blurring parts of the image whilst retaining sharpness in the key elements, such as people.

You can't have your cake and eat it, but you can manage your diet.

Peter

I have created an 100 page booklet in Pages, with many photographs, can I export it to ePub, and make an electronic book, because it says that "Note: The Pages document must have been created using a word processing template"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.