Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 is not syncing with my address book.

I have an iPhone 5 and a MacBook Pro running OS 10.7.5. iTunes says "Your contacts are being synced with your phone over the air from iCloud.", On my iPhone, under iCloud settings, Contacts is ON. Yet new contacts in my Address book are not coming in on my iPhone.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, MacBook Pro OS 10.7.5

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 2:35 PM

14 replies

Jul 8, 2013 3:20 PM in response to RaytheRealtor

If you add new contacts in the iCloud account on your Mac and they do not appear on icloud.com, go to icloud.com and add any missing contacts from your Mac. Once the contacts on icloud.com are up to date, go to System Preferences>iCloud, uncheck Contacts, choose Delete from Mac when prompted (they will still be in iCloud), restart your Mac, then check Contacts again in System Preferences>iCloud. Then add a new contact on your Mac and see if it appears on icloud.com now.

Jul 8, 2013 4:09 PM in response to RaytheRealtor

To answer your earlier question, you can't test it with just a single contact. In order to fix this you'll need to disconnect your contacts on your Mac from your iCloud account. When you reconnect again, only the contacts currently in iCloud will reappear on your Mac, which is why it's necessary for the iCloud contacts (on icloud.com) to be up to date.

There are a couple of other options, both of which have issues. Once is to back up your contacts on your Mac, delete the contacts from iCloud, then reimport the contacts on your Mac to icloud.com. This isn't difficult if you don't have lots of groups. Since you do, I'm not sure this option will work for you as you would have to recreate them again.

The other option is to add all the your contacts on your Mac to icloud.com, creating duplicates, then disconnect your Mac contacts from iCloud, reconnect your Mac contacts to iCloud (downloading the full list, including the duplicates), then use the Address Book Card>Look for Duplicates feature to locate and merge duplicates. This will merge contacts with the same name, which may or may not be what you want to do. This has the benefit of keeping your groups intact as they will still be on icloud.com, and would be redownloaded to your Mac when you reconnect. However, it will not retain any association the new contacts may have with your groups, as their group assignments are not in iCloud.

Of course the other option is to take the time to go through your contacts to identify which ones are new and add them on icloud.com, as suggested earlier.

Jul 8, 2013 5:14 PM in response to RaytheRealtor

If you want to implement the second option, do the following:

1. Open Address Book on your Mac, go to View>Groups, click on "All Contacts" under iCloud on the left, click on a single contact to the right, press Command-A to select all contacts (they should now all be highlighted in blue), then go to File>Export>Export vCard and save this file on your desktop. Also go to File>Export>Contacts Archive and save this file as well (this won't be used but is only a precaution as it contains all your groups information).
  2. Go to icloud.com, sign into your iCloud account, open Contacts, click on the gear-shaped icon on the lower left, select Import vCard, navigate to the vCard backup (.vcf) file that you made earlier and click Choose to import all your Mac contacts to iCloud. This should create many duplicates.
  3. Confirm that the contacts imported successfully to icloud.com by noting that there are now many duplicates. (The unduplicated contacts would be the new ones that were missing from iCloud before.)
  4. Go to System Preferences>iCloud on your Mac, uncheck Contacts, choose Delete from Mac when prompted, restart your Mac, check Contacts again in System Preferences>iCloud and wait for all your contacts to download from iCloud.
  5. Open Address Book on your Mac, go to File>Look for Duplcates and Merge any duplicates found.
  6. Confirm that you now have an unduplicated contact list on all your devices.
  7. Create a test contact in Address Book on your Mac and confirm that it is now added to icloud.com and appears on your iPhone.

Jul 9, 2013 6:03 AM in response to randers4

I understand that contacts will (should) import to my iPhone from iCloud... but, the problem I'm having is that iCloud is not syncing with my Mac. Contacts are not importing into iCloud when I enter them into my Mac. I'm not sure about from my iPhone into iCloud.

Shouldn't it work that way? Whether I enter from my Mac or iPhone, they should sync across the board?

Jul 9, 2013 11:35 AM in response to RaytheRealtor

I understand that the core issue is that contacts added to your Mac are not being added to iCloud, and thus are also not appearing on your phone. And yes, contacts added (edited, or deleted) from any device should appear on the others. But the solution to that is to disable contact syncing on your Mac, delete the contacts, restart your Mac, then re-enable contact syncing. In order for this to be successful it is imperative that the contacts in iCloud be up to date with your Mac. Steps 1-3 above are designed to import all the contacts from your Mac to iCloud. Steps 4-6 are designed to disable, then re-enable contact syncing on your Mac with iCloud and merge any duplicate contacts. Step 7 is to test if doing so has fixed the core problem with your Mac's inability to add new contacts to iCloud and your iPhone.

I can't guarantee with 100% certainty that this will work, but the success rate is very high. If it doesn't, the next step would be sign out of your iCloud account on your Mac entirely, then sign back in. In either case, you would need to bring the contacts in iCloud up to date with the contacts on your Mac in order to avoid losing any.

My iPhone 5 is not syncing with my address book.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.