Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My model # A1355 AirPort Time Capsule has stopped communicating via Wi-Fi with my iMAC. It still works with my wife's PC.

My Model A1355 AirPort Time Capsule has stopped communicating with my iMAC which is currently running Mountain Lion. When I try to re-connect, I get error messages like "The Wi-Fi card is currently turned off", "Atheros Network service is Inactive", "No configured AirPort base stations have been found." Everything works if I hard wire the Time Capsule to the MAC. I wonder if I lost the Wi-Fi network card or maybe the driver for it? Any idea how to check this out?

Steve

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Model A1355 AirPort Time Capsule

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 3:45 PM

Open System Profiler.. or whatever name it now has in ML. (system information).. and open the system report and go to the Network Wifi.. you will see if the wireless has failed. Or it might just be not installed.

It must be a fairly old unit to be using Atheros card.. they have mostly used broadcom for a fair while. Although I am not as sure of the iMac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2013 3:45 PM in response to schubb1948

Open System Profiler.. or whatever name it now has in ML. (system information).. and open the system report and go to the Network Wifi.. you will see if the wireless has failed. Or it might just be not installed.

It must be a fairly old unit to be using Atheros card.. they have mostly used broadcom for a fair while. Although I am not as sure of the iMac.

Jul 8, 2013 5:27 PM in response to schubb1948

schubb1948 wrote:

This helped. It said "Status: Network Service Inactive" Any idea how to make it active? The iMAC does not recognize any network and seems to have lost all of the networks which were previously used and saved.

If you cannot even turn on the wireless.. it is either not working or damaged.

Do you mean ethernet is also not working?? Your first post said ethernet was ok.

Look up the error.. but to me, it will need lots of low level commands and changes.. that suggest that the OS has corrupted itself.. but much more likely the wireless is simply dead.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196661?start=0&tstart=0

Although it is lion I imagine you have done an upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion..

The best test would be a clean install of Mountain Lion.. Install to a USB disk if you don't want to mess up your current boot.. and set that as the boot disk.

If it still fails, then the card is faulty.. it is probably not worth the effort to fix it.. !!

A work around.. buy a second hand express or extreme.. very cheap now if you search ebay, craiglist ?? and use it as wireless extend to the TC... and plug your Mac into it by ethernet. Voila,, network again by wifi.. and probably better than the internal card ever was.

Jul 8, 2013 5:41 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for all of the input! I was able to fix it. I went to System Preferences>Network. There has not been a Wi-Fi option there. So, I then had to do the + and type "Wi-Fi". When I clicked on the new Wi-Fi it came up and said that it was turned off. I simply clicked on the turn on option and it works! Simple to walk on water if you know where the rocks are.

Thanks again.

My model # A1355 AirPort Time Capsule has stopped communicating via Wi-Fi with my iMAC. It still works with my wife's PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.