Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible virus/malicious software involving MS Office 2013

I have two Macs IMac and Macbook pro. For no apparent reason, any of the MS Office applications on both would crash every time they were opened. It happened at the same time on both Macs. The solution I took was to erase the HD and reinstall ML.

I-Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 2:44 PM

13 replies

Jul 8, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Robert Hodson

It is very suspicious that both Macs had the same issue at the same time, but there haven't been any reported attacks on Office for Mac. Nothing since 2011, anyway. If you never applied any of Microsoft's updates, then it's possible they were both hit. Generally, the attacks are from opening infected Office documents with an install of Office 2011 that has not been updated against them.

Jul 9, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Robert Hodson

I'm a bit late to the party, and it looks like the issue has already been solved, but I would have to say that this is extremely unlikely to be related to malware in any way. There is a Microsoft Office vulnerability that has been recently exploited in older versions of Office, but the vulnerability was patched in 2009. Office 2011 would not be susceptible. A Word macro "virus" could be a possibility, except that I've never heard of one of those crashing Word, and you say you haven't opened any documents from someone else. (Are you sure you didn't open any documents from your daughter around that time?)

I'd have to say some of the other suggestions are more likely. Syncing, updates, perhaps some other third-party software you installed that conflicts with Word, etc. Malware is almost never the "go to" answer on Macs.

Possible virus/malicious software involving MS Office 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.