Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine doesn't work anymore after changing a bad hard disk.

Hello,

I have an iMac OS X 10.5.8.

One of my external drives failed.

I changed the disk, and restored the data successfully with Time Machine.

However, when Time machine was doing a back-up, it generated an error message: The copy can’t be finished. There has been an error while linking files on the backup volume.

I asked for help in the apple shop where I bought my new disk, and they advised me to delete my backup volume, … and start with an new backup from scratch.

For me, this is not the right way in using a backup system. I don’t wana throw away my old backup because it might include usefull older data.

My problem is: how can I tell Time Machine to link the data on the new disk to the old data on my backup volume?

Is it an issue that I changed the old disk of 1 TByte to a new disk of 2 TByte?

Who can give me an advise?

Thx,

Marc

iMac6,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 4:16 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2013 1:28 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello,

Thanks for mentioning the Pondini website.

Unfortunately I didn’t find a solution for my problem.

You also mentioned that TM doesn’t work anymore after changing a bad hard disk. For me this is unbelievable that Apple advices TM as the perfect solution. It has no sense that you have to delete the backup data after changing a bad hard disk.

What backup system do you advice for an iMac?

Thx,

Marc

Time Machine doesn't work anymore after changing a bad hard disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.