Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are apple notes stored?

My notes were not syncing to my phone or ipad so I went on to my macbook air to try and sync. It took me to my accounts and I unchecked the notes for a yahoo account I have and rechecked it again hoping this would help. It deleted my notes that were on my macbook air notes program and I cannot get them back? Can someone directo me to getting my notes back please.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 6:08 PM

10 replies

Jul 8, 2013 7:59 PM in response to caricia1990

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

Right-click or control -click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Restore the selected item from a backup that predates the unwanted change.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Sep 5, 2013 10:11 AM in response to caricia1990

I have found that my notes were backed up in Time Machine in the folder Linc notes above. However, when I'd restore this folder and re-open notes, I could only see my old notes for a second, then they'd be gone. Apparently this was because my computer was automatically comparing them to what I had 'in the cloud' and restoring the 'cloud' version.

What I did to remedy this was to take my computer offline (turning off my wifi...perhaps you'd need to unplug your network cable depending on your set up), restore the folder, open my notes (which now were *not* restored from the cloud since I was offline), copy each of them into a text file and reconnect my network. At this point the 'cloud' again restored the cloud version, deleting the old notes again...but since I had them copied into text files, I could make 'new' notes, re-copying and pasting the old ones from the text files into 'new' notes...and presto...old notes were restored..

I hope this helps someone...

Mar 17, 2016 11:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Please help me preserve my marriage by recovering Notes I backed up by copying ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes.

What happened is, we got my wife a new computer. She also has an iPad and iPhone. Evidently with her old Macbook she was syncing notes via gmail. When we switched to iCloud these were somehow all wiped out, except on her old computer. I took this machine and backed up her folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes just to be on the safe side. Sure enough, I turned on wifi, gmail synced, and her notes (from the Notes app) were wiped out. *But* I still have her com.apple.Notes--which should contain all her notes, right?

So--I copied this backed up com.apple.Notes into her Containers folder and renamed the old one. Should work, right? Unfortunately, I opened Notes (we're still on her old Macbook) and there's nothing there.What in the world am I doing wrong?

I'd be *so* grateful for any help. If the news is bad please include the name of a good divorce lawyer. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2016 11:19 AM in response to Community User

Uh oh. Just saw this elsewhere. Shall I assume I backed up the old version?

Since macosx el capitan, upgraded notes keeps its databases in Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes. Previous folder Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes is used for previous format of notes, so - it contains your old formatted notes before converting it to next version of Notes.

so Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes and Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes should be copied for backing up, new one and old.

Where are apple notes stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.