Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which of the two models is better to use photo editing and 3D softwares?

Hello,

I intend to buy a Mac, but I'm in doubt between two models. Besides the basic usage I use the computer to edit photos (Lightroom, Photoshop and Illustrator) and construction of 3D objects in software like Solid Works and Rhinoceros.

I am in doubt if I buy one of the models below:

New MacBook Air

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

8GB Memory

256GB Flash Storage

Intel HD Graphics 5000

MacBook Pro with Retina Display

2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

8GB Memory

256GB Flash Storage

Intel HD Graphics 4000

What do you recommend for what I do?

Thank you,

Gustavo

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 5:29 AM

If you edit photos and do contractions of 3D objects majority of time, rMBP wil probably better for you.

The main difference between the two is that rMBP performs slightly better and has much more pixels, more ports.

If you don't feel like you need to take advantage of such things, MBA will do a really good job.

However if Display, ports is needed rMBP will be better for you.

From experience, rMBP is way too expensive for the performance so I'm buying the MBA soon.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2013 5:29 AM in response to Gustavo M

If you edit photos and do contractions of 3D objects majority of time, rMBP wil probably better for you.

The main difference between the two is that rMBP performs slightly better and has much more pixels, more ports.

If you don't feel like you need to take advantage of such things, MBA will do a really good job.

However if Display, ports is needed rMBP will be better for you.

From experience, rMBP is way too expensive for the performance so I'm buying the MBA soon.

Jul 9, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Gustavo M

Even upgrading the Macbook Air for an 1.7 GHz Dual-core i7?

The thing is that the new Ivy technology on the Intel processors is faster than the Sandy one, and only the Macbook Air has the new processors. Not to tell the Intel HD Graphics 5000, better than the 4000 on the MBP.

Even so you think a MBP would be better than the Air?

Thank you guys.

Which of the two models is better to use photo editing and 3D softwares?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.