Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded from 3.0 to 3.4.5 and lost/can't see all projects/albums/smart folder etc

Hi, have just upgraded my Aperture from 3.0 to.3.4.5 and seem to have lost all my projects, folders, albums and smart albums. My images are all referenced and kepted on an external hard drive. I'm sure something simple that I have just missed. Any suggestions much appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.9 GHz

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 3:19 AM

9 replies

Jul 9, 2013 4:05 AM in response to Bigus

Are you not seeing any images, or are your images there, but the organizational structure (projects, albums, etc) is gone?

• If all images are missing, make sure, you are viewing the correct Aperture library:
    • Search with Spotlight, if Aperture has created a new library - type "aplibrary" into the Spotlight searchfield in the upper right corner of the screen, and see, if you have more than one library. If yes, double click the correct library to open it in Aperture.
    • And check, if you have any filters set. Clear the searchfields in the Browser and the Library inspector panel.
  • If the images are there, but albums etc. missing, repair your Aperture library: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Regards

Léonie

Jul 9, 2013 4:36 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie, thanks for quick reply! No images or project, albums, etc. I don't tend to use an Aperture library but store my original images on an ex-HD as referenced images although I did check to see how many aplibraries there are and only one showed in spotlight but I can see the images are not there as I'm looking for about 250GB worth.

Cheers Bigus

Jul 9, 2013 5:43 AM in response to Bigus

If your images are referenced, the library itself may not bethat large, even with 250GB worth of images.

Aperture 3.4.5 has sections, that can be hidden in the library inspector.

Does your Inspector look like this - only captions and nothing below?

User uploaded file

Then you may need to disclose the Library items. Hover with the mouse to the right of the captions , until the "Show" button appears and press it.

Does that reveal projects and albums?

Also, the search field should show "All tems".

Jul 9, 2013 7:09 AM in response to léonie

Really appreciate the effort your putting in to this Léonie and my inspector did look like this but with nothing to show. I have just remembered that when I upgraded a dialog box came up with a choice about the library although not sure what the choice was now, I think ignore, replace or something else. As I using ref files I didn't pay much attention! I'm just wondering if I should restore Aperture 3.0 with Time Machine (if possible with ref files) and then start again to upgrade.

Cheers Bigus

Jul 9, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Bigus

Bigus,

do you mean restore the Aperture 3 library or the Aperture 3 application?

If you can restore the library from backup, great. And this time, rebuild the restored Library before upgrading the library to Aperture 3.4.5.

Launch Aperture directly into the First Aid Panel with ⌘⌥ - the upgrading may succeed better this way.

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Léonie

upgraded from 3.0 to 3.4.5 and lost/can't see all projects/albums/smart folder etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.