Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing - ever going to be fixed?

I seem to be having progressively more trouble with Home Sharing; for something that should work so simply, it fails much too regularly.

My iTunes library is hosted from an always on machine wired directly into the main network router (Draytek Vigor 2830n). Two iPhones, an iPad and an Apple TV access it wirelessly. (The iPhones & iPad acces directly through the Draytek's built in wireless n broadcast; the Apple TV had trouble with this, so I have an alternative B/G access point connected for devices incapable of Wireless N).

The first problem is the speed - when I select the library it takes a very long time (I'm talking 3+ minutes) before I can browse the shared library, and then thumbnails take an age to load. Once loaded, however, music/video can be started streaming very quickly.

The next issue is the way media is arranged (particularly video) within the Home Sharing environment. TV Shows are arranged by Season rather than by show, and I can find no way to change this. Everything is just called 'Season 1', 'Season 2' etc; so the only way to choose what to watch is to wait for the thumbnails to load.

Then there is the problem when trying to watch a video in iTunes running on a different computer. While SD streams reasonably (still slow to load), the moment you try to watch an HD film, you get the audio track with a string of still frames that change periodically like a slideshow. This despite both PCs being wired directly into the Draytek on Gigabit connections.

And then, of course, there's the fact that Home Sharing just stops working altogether for no apparent reason - almost every day. Just about every time you come to use it, you have to restart the device, close & reopen iTunes, turn off HS and back on again and reboot your PC. Any or all of these can be absolutely necessary just to get to watch a single movie /TV episode, or to put some music on. Yet AirPlay is often unaffected (although not always).

So come on, Apple. I bought an Apple TV to make use of this wonderful idea and save myself £100s on building HTPCs. I've also invested hours & hours converting my media library to MP4 (M4V) , but so far I'm seriously underwhemled.

Unless, of course, anybody has any solutions?

Apple TV 3-OTHER, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 3:46 AM

1 reply

Home Sharing - ever going to be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.