Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos & Storage issues on my iPhone 4S

I want to take more pictures on my phone but I have received a message that my storage is full. I purchased more storage on the cloud so I could take more photos while I'm on vacation. I know I have more storage now because when I go to my settings it shows I have space available but I still can't take pictures. What good is more storage if you can't use it. Can anyone help?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 5:45 AM

6 replies

May 20, 2017 3:50 PM in response to pvonk

WHAT??? Photos/videos are not stored to iCloud??? I have the exact same question for my iPad as Beachgirl 2020 has for her iPhone 4s. Albeit this was posted 4 years ago. I purchased more storage so pictures/videos would be stored on/in iCloud. AND I can continue video of my class. No, I do not keep the class videos. I re-view for a week or so, then delete. Have already removed unwanted pictures/videos. I have iPad Air, 32GB; used 21.54GB ... and iCloud = 50g ... available = 34.11.

What do I need to do to Video approximately 1 hour of lecture????

Thank you,

SHiRL Selah

May 20, 2017 6:14 PM in response to S-Selah

iCloud is a syncing service, NOT a hard drive in the sky.

Your photos & videos are synced between iCloud and your device. If you have enabled optimization, your photos are downsized and your videos are replaced by thumbnails only.

The full sized photos and videos are stored on iCloud, but smaller photo versions are always on your phone.

Videos are replaced by a small thumbnail, but will be downloaded when you click on the thumbnail.

If you are deleting content from your phone, it is also being deleted from iCloud. You should get a prompt telling you that each time.

May 22, 2017 12:45 PM in response to LiveLoveParadise

You should be able to export your pictures to an external drive and delete them from the device as long as the external drive isn't being synced with iCloud. How you would do this depends on what type computer you are using.

For a Mac, open Photos, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and set up syncing. Then go to System Preferences/iCloud, sign in, and check Photos syncing. Once all the Photos have synced to your computer, quit Photos. You should now have a complete compilation of your photos (like a Master Library). Reopen Photos with the option/alt key held down and create a new system Library. You can now delete photos from your devices while maintaining a master copy on the computer/external drive. Added photos can be exported from the new Library and imported into the Master Library. Turn off iCloud syncing when reverting to the Master Library.

Jul 9, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Beachgirl2020

What you need is more storage on your **device**, not icloud, as icloud can't be used as spillover storage for a device. But of course, a device cannot have more storage added to it. If you buy a 16 GB device, then that's what you have to work with (actually, more like 13 GB).

iCloud storage is for things like email, calendars, contacts, etc. For most users, even when using multiple devices on one icloud account, the default (free) storage included in an account is enough. iCloud can't be used to store photos or more apps and their data - this needs to be stored locally in the device's memory.

Apr 9, 2015 9:43 PM in response to pvonk

pvonk wrote:

What you need is more storage on your **device**, not icloud, as icloud can't be used as spillover storage for a device. But of course, a device cannot have more storage added to it. If you buy a 16 GB device, then that's what you have to work with (actually, more like 13 GB).

iCloud storage is for things like email, calendars, contacts, etc. For most users, even when using multiple devices on one icloud account, the default (free) storage included in an account is enough. iCloud can't be used to store photos or more apps and their data - this needs to be stored locally in the device's memory.

My phone is messing up and it says that my storage is full when I dont even have anything downladed that take up storage so wat do I do

Photos & Storage issues on my iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.