Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove previously trimmed clips from a Quicktime File

I too, like the guy in this archived thread, figured out that Quicktime 7 Pro used a non-destructive method and that all of the clips I trimmed in the past do include the video parts I trimmed when viewed on non-Apple videoplayers (e.g., VideoLan).

I'm trying to find a way to get rid of those parts forever. I tried "Save As" instead of a simple "Save," I exported the file using Pass Through, but those trimmed parts are still there (they become visible when I play the video on

Does anybody know a solution or a video editor that can fix that?

Also do you know of a good video editor for Mac that cuts and trims using a destructive method?

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 9:13 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Alxalx

Does anybody know a solution or a video editor that can fix that?

Also do you know of a good video editor for Mac that cuts and trims using a destructive method?

1) I just retested the QT 7 Pro destructive and non-destructive trim work flows and found that both still work under the latest Mountain Lion update.

2) On my system, I was able to use the MPEG Streamclip "Save As..." option to transform a non-destructively trimmed MOV file to a destructively trimmed MOV.

User uploaded file ===> User uploaded file

3) As to a second editor, the free MPEG Streamclip app performs destructive trims. About the only differences is that setting the "in" and "out" points is sufficient to trim the video. (I.e., you don't have to select the "Trim (to selection)" Edit option to force a destructive trim as you do with QT 7 Pro.)

User uploaded file ===> User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 9, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for your reply Jon!

The conclusions and results that you posted are similar to mine: the information window in the Finder does show a that the file is smaller once trimmed and saved using "Save As." However, regardless of the metadata info, playing the trimmed clip in a non-Apple player (e.g., VLC) will still show the trimmed footage (see also the Archived thread I mentioned before).

Could you please try to play the trimmed clips obtained with the destructive method in VLC and let me know if you still some of the trimmed footage? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jul 10, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Alxalx

Could you please try to play the trimmed clips obtained with the destructive method in VLC and let me know if you still some of the trimmed footage? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

1) Here is the first "display" frame of a PROPERLY created destructively trimmned video as seen in various media players on my system:

User uploaded file QT 7 Player

User uploaded file VLC Player

User uploaded file QT X Player

User uploaded file MPEG Streamclip Player

As you can see, a properly trimmed file only contains the trimmed data as stored in the file which means the first "display" frame is also the first or "zero" frame in the file.

2) On the other hand, here is the first "display" frame of a non-destructively trimmned video as seen in various media players on my system:

User uploaded file QT 7 Player

User uploaded file VLC Player

User uploaded file QT X Player

User uploaded file MPEG Streamclip Player

As you can see here, a non-destructively created file still containing all of the original data plays the same as a destructively created file in all playere using the routines in the QT structure embedded in the Mac OS while third-party players like VLC which have their own independent built-in player routines do not correctly "see" the designated first "display" frame. The only difference I see in the latest version of VLC is that it no longer plays the entire movie and, if you attempt to step through the VLC playback, you will note the latest version seems to only step through what appear to be the key frames. Based on this observation, my guess is that latest version of VLC now attempts to recognize/use the saved QT start and stop display pointers but defaults to either the nearest or the key frame that is just prior to the pointer rather than playing the entire file as the older versions used to do.

Based on my tests, it would appear your work flow remains flawed and you are still trying to play files in their non-destructive form or your system is corrupted or conflicted. Please post a sample file for examination, trimming, and testing on my system.

The conclusions and results that you posted are similar to mine: the information window in the Finder does show a that the file is smaller once trimmed and saved using "Save As." However, regardless of the metadata info, playing the trimmed clip in a non-Apple player (e.g., VLC) will still show the trimmed footage (see also the Archived thread I mentioned before).

What Mac OS are you using, what file type is your source data in, and what SPECIFIC work flow did you use to create your so-called "Destructively" trimmed file? VLC, like most third-party media players, has never played non-destructively trimmed files correctly (and still does not even though it is geeting closer to simulating QT palyback of such files).

User uploaded file

Remove previously trimmed clips from a Quicktime File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.