If the host name is myservername.local, then DNS services are configured incorrectly. The .local top-level domain is reserved to mDNS (Bonjour) and should not be mixed with DNS (unicast DNS); that mixing usually works, but it's not reliable and not recommended per public statements by some of Apple's networking engineers.
As for selecting the primary address, drag the primary address to the first position in Network Preferences.
DNS itself doesn't care if there are multiple addresses associated with a host. That'll all work fine, so long as the subnet routing is set up correctly.
So setting the "primary" IP of the server did the trick, although I did notice some oddness in my DNS settings.
I removed the existing zones (which were for another computer, not the server I'm working on) and added the zone and machine which appears to have done the trick with regards to OD.
The only thing left that I'm concerned about is the reverse lookup in DNS now has .(null) at the end?
xx.xxx.xx.2 Reverse Mapping myservername.mydomain.com.(null)
I'm Googling now, but I haven't found anything obvious... is this familiar/expected?
(If you can't tell, I'm no DNS whiz...)
Thanks again, Mr. Hoffman!
[EDIT] Some additional info: now the value in the reverse listing says:
xx.xxx.xx.2 Reverse Mapping myservername.mydomain.com.null.xx.xxx.xx.in-adr.arpa.
[EDIT AGAIN!] I was able to get the local machine reverse entry to look correct after the following:
1) select the reverse mapping (under reverse zone) and remove
2) select the machine (under primary zone) and remove
3) stop DNS
4) start DNS
5) select the primary zone and add a machine record with the proper IP and machine name
6) click save
7) stop DNS
8) start DNS
I've also added the other severs in my cluster to DNS so I don't have to go to the plant-wide dns server every time I try to connect by name.