Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I boot new machines with 10.8 using Snow Leopard server

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I can boot newer machine to using older server OS X 10.6.8. I have Xserve which is running 10.6.8 and it is running following services:

AFP

NetBoot

NFS

SMB

Web

And I have created a base image using newer hardware and then used SIU utility in newer machine and OS X 10.8 to create NetBoot.nbi folder. After creating this folder then I have copied it on my server at this location:

/Server HD/Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/

And inside of Server Admin, I can see newest image and it has set to using following setting:

Enable

Diskless

Index 564

Architecture Intel

Protocol NFS

After doing all the settings, I have ensured that Netboot service is running.

Now when I set my client to boot from netboot (using bless command and server IP address), it won't boot at all. Can anyone please point me in some direction where to start troubleshooting for this problem?

Thanks,

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 10:14 AM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2013 12:24 PM in response to Brian Nesse

Hi Brian,

Yes, server was working with previous images before but not now. I have tried to go back to older image and it fails at same place as new one.

No, I don't see them in startp disk on client machine but that could be caused by machine and server are in 2 different Vlans.

Yes, I am pretty sure that this machine can boot with 10.8 because same machine can boot with local netboot server which is located in same vlan as client machine. Also it same netboot image which has been copied over to problem server.

Can I boot new machines with 10.8 using Snow Leopard server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.