Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share disks over WAN setup AEBS 802.11ac

I am trying to share a usb HDD over my home network that I can access outside of my network. I have read some answers in these communities and followed their instructions, but no resolution. I was wanting something like afp://x.x.x.x:port# to get to it. it has been formatted on a MAC with HFS+. My home network sees the HDD but I cant reach it outside the network.

-Bart (Dropbox alternative)😕

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, iOS 6.1.4, iPad 4 for Setup

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 3:32 PM

7 replies

Jul 9, 2013 5:03 PM in response to iBartley

Is the AE the main router of the network?

How are you determining the public IP? You cannot use the TC private ip over the internet.. it must be the WAN ip .. and if the AE is bridged then it has to be handled differently by port forwarding 548 in the main router to the AE in bridge mode. Hence why the first question is key.

And why not use Apple iCloud method which is built in. BTMM should work to the AE to access the disk.. and is much easier as the dyndns is built into the BTMM.. otherwise you will have trouble.

Jul 10, 2013 1:56 PM in response to iBartley

iBartley wrote:

This is the main router. I have forwarded 548. I am trying to use the public Ip from ISP. I have am connecting from a windows machine. Can I still connect through icoud?

Ok, there are several things wrong here.

1. If the AE is the main router you do not port forward.. you simply tick that hard disk will have wan access.

In the airport utility you tick, share disk over WAN.

User uploaded file

Now I don't have the new AC model but I expect it will be the same.

2. The public IP from the ISP is generally dynamic and keeps changing.. unless you pay for a static IP. It is hard to get dyndns working for the AE.. I used to think impossible but Tesserax has been able to do it.

3. Windows cannot access the AE using AFP protocol.. when you tick the share disk with wan.. only AFP protocol is exposed.. because it is reasonably secure.. SMB (windows) protocol is not shared with WAN ever.. it is only shared in LAN.. and most ISP block the ports due to the internet containing several zillion windows computers with sharing turned on and no security.. The entire internet would collapse if they allowed SMB.

AFAIK there is no suitable AFP file access software for windows.. although you might have a solution to that.

Port 548 mentioned is AFP.. not SMB.

Only the Mac can access the AE hard disk.. so using BTMM makes good sense.

4. The only way I would recommend you attempt remote access via windows is using a vpn router.. and put the AE into bridge mode and access directly via vpn to the whole network.. this is a professional solution and is the way any buisness would do it. It is secure and any computer or ipad or iphone with vpn client can access the network.

Sep 3, 2014 1:36 PM in response to iBartley

HI,

;If there is somewhere better to ask my question please let me know. I have 2 apple time capsules routers. One Wireless-n and one wireless-AC. I would like to access both time capsules over Wan. I have the apple iPad Air. I want to access my time capsule over the internet using my ipad air. I have FileBrowser plus all the other similar apps, Remote Files,etc. i can access my files inside my network. Works great. I can not access my files over the internet. I have "share files over Wan" turned on. How do I configure FileBrower to access my files over the internet?

Thanks,

John

Share disks over WAN setup AEBS 802.11ac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.