Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 09 Workspace basics help

Hey all I want to know is how to clear my workspace in iMovie 09.

I am new at using iMovie. I have been a QT Pro user for a long time, but now I am willing to try iMovie on my macbook pro with snow leopard 10.68

So here is my situation, I have the 'Event Library' and it shows everything, even stuff I never asked iMovie to pull up. It is like iMovie was made for a mad multitasker.

I like to focus on just 1, yes 'ONE' project at a time.

I don't want to see all my entire collection of video files in the event library. I don't even want to see all the videos taken on a specific day. (I know how to select that option)

All I want to see in the 'New Event' folder , is the SINGLE project that I am currently working on. That way I can focus on one thing at a time..

How can I do this? Can I make a different 'New Event' folder.?

In other words, how can I make iMovie work for me, instead of me having to work for it?

I know that there has to be a way to make this more functional

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aluminum Macbook pro 7.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 5:13 PM

moh2o wrote:

The short answer is: You Can't. That's not how iMovie works.

My best advice is to get used to it or to stick with QT Pro.

But...

There's a workaround you might try, though I can't say I recommend it, because if you get it wrong you can do a lot a damage. With that warning, here it is:

iMovie manages Event and Project media the same way that Final Cut Pro X does. They are strored respectively in your iMovie Events and iMovie Project folders which reside in your Movies folder in your user account Home folder.

Here's an article writtn by Larry Jordan on how he solves the dilema you describe in Final Cut Pro X.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-manage-media/

The same should work with iMovie though, I've not tested it thoroughly and do not use it myself. Proceed at your own risk.

Give it a try on a test basis before you commit to it. Obviously, where the article references Final Cut you'll substitute iMovie.

Matt

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2013 5:13 PM in response to moh2o

moh2o wrote:

The short answer is: You Can't. That's not how iMovie works.

My best advice is to get used to it or to stick with QT Pro.

But...

There's a workaround you might try, though I can't say I recommend it, because if you get it wrong you can do a lot a damage. With that warning, here it is:

iMovie manages Event and Project media the same way that Final Cut Pro X does. They are strored respectively in your iMovie Events and iMovie Project folders which reside in your Movies folder in your user account Home folder.

Here's an article writtn by Larry Jordan on how he solves the dilema you describe in Final Cut Pro X.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-manage-media/

The same should work with iMovie though, I've not tested it thoroughly and do not use it myself. Proceed at your own risk.

Give it a try on a test basis before you commit to it. Obviously, where the article references Final Cut you'll substitute iMovie.

Matt

Jul 10, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

So , is this the way the Final Cut also operates? Dumping all the video files into the system without being able to Choose which files you want to have on workspace?

I was thinking of getting Final Cut, or at least the Express version. But if it operates like iMovie then I don't think I will try it.

BTW Matt, thanks for the reply. It was not the answer I hoped for, but it does not surprise me, being a familiar with iPrograms and the way that they strip the user of the freedom to control their files and data in a manner that they choose.

Jul 10, 2013 7:41 AM in response to moh2o

moh2o wrote:

So , is this the way the Final Cut also operates? Dumping all the video files into the system without being able to Choose which files you want to have on workspace?

Not all. Only what you Import into it should show up in the Event Library.

I am a bit puzzled about what you said in your original post about video being present in your iMovie Event Library that you didn't put there. That shouldn't be.

Anyway, I wish I could be of more help.

Matt

Jul 10, 2013 8:01 AM in response to moh2o

moh2o wrote:

Well I'm done with iMovie.

Matt, how does FCE (Final Cut Express) work? Does it give the user more workspace control?

That depends on what you're looking for. The technique that Larry Jordan describes in the article he posted including the Utility he mentions will give you the control you're looking for.

And does it accept more all types of video Formats like MTS (mpeg2 transport stream) and others like that?

Generally speaking, it is far more robust than iMovie. You can read more about it and download a free trial here so you can test drive it for yourself.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

also have you heard of iSkysoft? If so, does it work well?

I've heard of it, but that's about it. I believe they offer a free trial as well. Try it. You may like it better than iMovie.

I wouldn't put it in the same class as Final Cut Pro X though.

Matt

Jul 10, 2013 8:37 AM in response to moh2o

Final Cut Express is no being sold or developed by Apple.

You can find it at places like Amazon if you really want it. It's got a really steep learning curve. I think Final Cut Pro X is easier to learn, especially if your coming form iMovie.

You can read about what formats Final Cut Pro X supports at the bottom of this page:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/

I'm not sure what you mean by "controlling the workspace" other than only viewing the media you're currently interested in. Is there something else you're looking to control?

Matt

Jul 22, 2014 7:57 AM in response to moh2o

I should not have downloaded iSkysoft Video Editor. It totally is horrible also. And it puts adware and spyware on your computer.

I found out by surfing the web that iSkysoft and is a company that is affiliated with many other companies that spam their software online. They re-skin their software and sell it under different names for varying prices

- mysupersoft

- my-video-converter

- nidesoft

- plato

- pqdvd

- simplestutils

- soft29

- sothink

- tipard

- tompegx

- tansee

- topvideopro

- uSeesoft

- winxmedia

- wondershare

- xilisoft

- yasasoft

- 1clickdvdcopy

- 4Media

I do not want to support companies that do business like this.

It is the original reason that I switched to using Mac's in the first place. It seemed more honest here, and the software seemed 'cleaner'.

I am surprised that the App Store sells their products online.

I guess no one has any ethics anymore.

iMovie 09 Workspace basics help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.