13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 1:52 PM by Bmachine
rph9 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Aperture keeps asking for my name and serial number, but only on one of my Macs. This is a new Mac that I restored from my old Mac. It made sense to have to put in the documentation the first time, but the program keeps asking for it. Any thoughts?

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,550 points)

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise the serial number cannot be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library; this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

SInce you migrated your system from another mac, you still may have an older ProAppSystemID file or Aperture cannot write to the System Library.

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppsSystemID" in your System Library.

• Quit Aperture.
    • Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".
    • Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.
    • Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder    and  enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see ProAppsSystemID there, move it to its proper location in /Library/Application Support/ProApps.

Aperture must be running, and you will have to wait a few minutes to be seeing the file appearing the /tmp directory.

Regards

Léonie

• Aloha Bob Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Léonie,

I deleted the ProAppsSystemID when I first encountered the problem. It has not been recreated and neither is it in the \tmp folder. For a while Aperture did not ask for a serial number, but then it started to do so again, but only if I hadn't opened the program for a while. If I reopen after closing it does not ask for the serial number.

This is all very strange. It's not the end of the world because I am using TextExpander to retain the long serial number so I can type it in each time with a simple shortcut.

Should I have expected the ProAppssystemID to have been recreated after multiple re-entries of the serial number?

Thanks for your help.; Looks like we are at a dead end.

Robert Herwick MD

Should I have expected the ProAppssystemID to have been recreated after multiple re-entries of the serial number?

Yes, it should have been recreated, if not in Application Support, then in the /tmp directory. Only, it will only stay in /tmp, while aperture is running, otherwise it may be cleaned, and it will take a long time to appear there. SO the best strategy would be to keep the /tmp folder open and Aperture as well, and to watch out for it. Grab it, when you get a chance.

So you were absolutely correct. The ProAppSystemID was there in \tmp when I opened Aperture. I deleted it and reopened Aperture, adding my serial number hopefully the last time. Now upon closing Aperture the ProAppSystemID file stays in \tmp. Is that okay? Aperture seems to open now without asking for my info.

the ProAppSystemID file stays in \tmp. Is that okay?

That is o.k.  After rebooting that directory may be cleared. I'd keep a backupcopy of that file, just in case, it happens again.

Thanks very much. I've been struggling with this for months. The file seems to be staying put, but I made a backup copy as you suggested.

You are welcome!  

• Allison Sheridan Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I got essentially the same advice about removing the old ProAppSystemID (and Aperture System ID).  After doing this I was able to relaunch Aperture, enter the serial number one last time and after that it worked without asking for the serial number.

Until I rebooted. Now it started asking for my v3 serial number and since it was an upgrade from v2 I had to give it that serial number too!

Another call to the ProApps team and they told me to reinstall from my v3 disks, run software update and then enter the two serial numbers one last time, and that fixed the problem even if I reboot.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

That's correct. The Pro Apps (of which Aperture is one) do not do well when migrated over they really need to be installed fresh.

Every time this issue has come up and the user has done a fresh install the problem is corrected.

regards

• Allison Sheridan Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Oddly enough, Frank, I've been running Aperture on this machine since early 2011 without issue, and I didn't migrate Aperture using Migration assistant, I did all app installs from scratch.  I find that moves less cruft over, and fewer apps if I load only what I actually use.

Out of the blue it started yapping about the serial number. I do load a lot of stuff on my mac so I'm relatively certain it's realted to something I did but still curious!

• Elizabeth Ingraham Level 6 Level 6 (12,310 points)

Thank you!

I was at my wit's end, but removing the /tmp file and dragging it into the ProApps folder looks to have done the trick.

It's puzzling, because I did a clean install of Mountain Lion and a clean install of Aperture (and all my apps) so I didn't expect this behavior.

FWIW, it took forever to do that clean install but (after--oh, I don't know, 8 or 10 years of migrations?) it was LONG overdue and WELL worth the time.

It's puzzling, because I did a clean install of Mountain Lion and a clean install of Aperture (and all my apps) so I didn't expect this behavior.

Did you enter the serial number signed in as an admin? Something must have prevented Aperture from writing to the ProApps folder in the System Library, a problem with ACLs, account name, or other permission settings.

• Bmachine Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

leonieDF wrote:

Did you enter the serial number signed in as an admin? Something must have prevented Aperture from writing to the ProApps folder in the System Library, a problem with ACLs, account name, or other permission settings.

That is what I was going to suggest.  Do you have multiple user accounts on this machine?  If yes, be sure to install the app from the main admin account.  I have noticed that if you enter a serial from another user account, the system will act like everything is fine (no error message) and let you use the app for that one session but it does not have permission to write to the System folder and therefore does not remember it. 

Install it from admin, open the app and run it once, entering whatever it asks you and then go back and do it from your user account.