Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT file from 5D mark11 not recognized by anything

Hi folks. I've read the other forum entries with similar problems and I've surmised that there is meta data or some kind of directory structure corrupted or missing. The problem is I can't go back to source to rebuild because my friend pulled the files off the card and formatted the card. Oddly though, when he shared the files over his DB account with me (and I downloaded from there), I can actually play the files in the browser window from the DB account. Its just that I can't open them in anything (and I've tried everything, VLC, Handbrake, MPEG streamclip, other weird proprietary programs, FCP import, QT) once they are downloaded. Since I know the video works because it plays in the browser, does anyone have any ideas on how the heck I can get them to open in anything else? I could provide the link to the DB offline if someone knows of a workaround.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 2:22 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2013 5:37 AM in response to Lkaselak

Lkaselak wrote:

Hi folks. I've read the other forum entries with similar problems and I've surmised that there is meta data or some kind of directory structure corrupted or missing.

That 5D doesn't shoot a format that's exotic at all – h.264 in a Quick Time wrapper. It would be great to have the full card structure for ease of importing into certain NLEs (e;g., FCP Log & Transfer) and for that you usually need a plugpin as well. But just to open a single mov file? Should be no problem for any of the apps you mention.

I'm going to guess that somewhere along the line someone used a video converter app to alter the file in some way. Why your Browser can play it and your video players can't, I'm afraid I don't have any theories about.

Drag the file into MediaInfo and see what it reports the file to be. Post a screen shot.

Russ

QT file from 5D mark11 not recognized by anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.