Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will My HD Movie Purchases be Future Proof (4k and on?)

Starting to build a library on iTunes and stopping buying discs...

Wondering if my HD purchases will be future proof or not? Ie, is Apple going to start offering LOTR in 4k (was it even filmed at that resolution?) and I'd have to buy the movies all over again if I want the latest and greatest quality or would my "HD" purchases automatically play in 4k when it's available and I have the appropriate Display and player?

I tried a search but turned up video editing and monitor stuff instead so...

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 3:02 PM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2017 12:35 PM in response to varjak paw

As to your current purchases, they will of course not play at 4K resolution, any more than a DVD plays at Blu-Ray resolution, though I would expect a 4K TV to be able to play lower-resolution content. A player or TV may attempt upscaling, that that's just generating extra pixels based on interpolation (essentially guessing). There's no way to actually add data that's not present in the original image.

All of your purchases are stored on Apple's servers and could absolutely be upgraded to 4k.

Jul 26, 2017 1:28 PM in response to erthian

All of your purchases are stored on Apple's servers and could absolutely be upgraded to 4k.

They are stored there if the film studio/rights-holder doesn't remove them from the store (and if you don't move countries), which they could do at any time. Whether they could be upgraded will depend upon whether iTunes starts to offer 4k, and if the film-studio/rights-holder upgrades a particular film - if/when 4K is offered they are likely to be separate purchases

Jul 27, 2017 6:53 AM in response to King_Penguin

Yes, I would be shocked if they upgraded them for free. I was pointing out that they absolutely could be, not that they will be.

Also pointing out that movies that are removed can't be upgraded is kind of a non point because obviously we're talking about the stuff that gets 4k, and anything removed wouldn't. Have you ever actually lost access to any of your purchases tho? Or heard of anyone who has due to the film being removed?

Aug 11, 2017 1:46 PM in response to erthian

iTunes does remove films from time to time from the STORE, but yes, if you have purchased a film, even if it leaves the store you will still have access to the film.

i have several Disney films on ITunes that are no longer available for others to purchase. They come back occasionally. The Patriot had a director's cut that disappeared from ITunes. Yet surprisingly 13 Days is still being offered in only Pan and Scan....***?

Jul 10, 2013 10:42 AM in response to MrMcDo

Nobody knows? I asked an Apple CSR this question when addressing an issue with my iTunes account (forced me to update my credit info when I don't want Apple having any access to my current credit info - I use giftcards only to protect myself) and she completely sidestepped my question and didn't answer... :-(

Jul 10, 2013 1:49 PM in response to MrMcDo

Nobody here knows if Apple will ever offer content in a higher resolution, nor will any of the customer service reps at the iTunes Store. Only the product planners for the iTunes Store would know and they won't discuss it until such time as Apple is ready to make an announcement. I would not expect it until 4K TVs are much more affordable, but we'll have to wait and see.

As to your current purchases, they will of course not play at 4K resolution, any more than a DVD plays at Blu-Ray resolution, though I would expect a 4K TV to be able to play lower-resolution content. A player or TV may attempt upscaling, that that's just generating extra pixels based on interpolation (essentially guessing). There's no way to actually add data that's not present in the original image.

Regards.

Jan 2, 2014 2:58 AM in response to MrMcDo

With the MacPro's capabilities to edit 4k video as well as run with 4k screens one would hope Apple will rather sooner than later start to offer 4k movie content in the iTunes store.

Sony did already start, claiming they are the first and only....so far. Come on Apple!

One key component to me would be the Apple TV supporting 4k with the next release though. This will probably reach a broader user base who can then enjoy 4k moveis from the iTunes store on a 4k TV screen.

For now I will stop purchasing HD video content to avoid having to purchase the same movies again when 4k is available.

Will My HD Movie Purchases be Future Proof (4k and on?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.