Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" Cinema Display - Black Screen

I have two of these 27" displays. One display works great. The other display has a black screen. It has power and will play music through the speaker and USB works. When I hold a flashlight up to the screen I can see what should be showing brightly and even read it (takes some work to read). When connected to the laptop it's recognized in the Display preferences etc.

This problem started by the screen going black from time to time. I could get it to come back on by unplugging etc. Then it went black and it won't come back.

I don't want to pay a bunch to repair. I'm very capable of doing the repair myself and with the tutorials online I can get it done. I've read numerous threads on this and several things are mentioned as the problem:

Blacklight or driver need replaced

Logic Board needs replaced

Power supply needs replaced (I don't see how it could be this since sound and stuff work on the display)

PRAM or clear preferences etc

I believe it's probably the backlight or driver and/or the logic board. I just don't know how to diagnose which it is. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 4:32 PM

1 reply

Jul 19, 2013 1:54 PM in response to JB56

I have the same issue. This a common issue with Apple's LED Cinema Displays since they first launched to replace their CCDL LCD's, it's not your system. I spent three years, using 2x 24" LED LCD"s that were problematic since day 1; power supplies and LCD panels replaced 2-3 for each. My AppleCare was due to run out in Oct., so I called AppleCare in May. Within 24 hours, they approved 2 new 27" LED Cinema Displays. Everything was working perfectly, until last night. One of the 27" displays shut down. As a communications and tech consultant (and former Apple Corp employee), I reset my Mac Pro's NVRAM and SMC, tried the display with my MacBook Air and Mac Mini, all three systems will not detect it. From my experience with Apple's horrible LED LCD's, it's definitely a power supply issue. I run my system off an APC SMART-UPS 1500 Sine Wave for servers, and my other display and 6-Core Mac Pro5,1 are fine.

Really disappointed in Apple's lagging quality. Before the LED LCD's I owned 2 23" CCFL LCD's that lasted me ~8 years before burnout began, which is fantastic. I don't know who produced the panels and internal components, but Apple had better get this together.

The thread I posted is below, hope this gains traction:

24" and new 27" LED Cinema Displays constantly malfunction, anyone having similar issues as below?

27" Cinema Display - Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.