3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 9:47 AM by Patrick Andriola
bshows99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was just currently using my macbook pro 15" Late 2012 model, and the trackpad made a weird noise when I click it, and ever since then it feels different when I click. Everything still works with the mouse and all, it's just the click doesn't "click" like it used to. it's almost like it's stuck...

Please help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (154,870 points)

The battery may be failing. Take it to an Apple Store for diagnosis.

• Courcoul Level 6 Level 6 (12,180 points)

Was the Mac exposed to dirt, dust or anything that may produce small particles?

The entire trackpad body sits on a pivot and moves up and down when clicking. Hence, there's a tiny gap between the trackpad and the topcase. There have been cases where a small particle like dirt, grain of sand, bit of nacho, cookie crumb, etc., works its way into the gap and impedes movement. Take a strong lamp and magnifying glass and inspect all around the gap. If such a culprit is found, your first is to use a compressed air "duster" to attempt blowing it out. "Work" the trackpad by clicking while blowing to enhance the expulsion.

Or... Take it to an Apple Store for diagnosis.

• Patrick Andriola Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same issue. Does anybody have experience with the trackpad being able to click (not literally) when it's on "touch" mode but not in any other way? I can't highlight posts or do anything that requires me to actually hold the trackpad down.

Thanks.

-Patrick Andriola