Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 not turning on or charging

Hello. I have a problem with my almost new iPhone 5.

I was using it, and then since it was low on battery, i plugged it in, and went to bed.

Anyway, after some minutes i went to check my phone, and i noticed that it won't turn on. I even tried to plug it in my computer and iTunes doesn't recognize it, just as there were no phones plugged.

It stopped working so suddenly, like thirty minutes ago.

I can't reset it manually because the sleep button is faulty and doesn't work anymore, it gave me problems almost a month after i bought the phone.

I just don't know what happened, it doesn't have any scratches or stuff like that...it just stopped working two or so minutes after i sent one message on Whatsapp, so nothing strange. The only thing i remember is that it was pretty hot, but it's always hot when i charge it.

I am desperate, please help me! 😟

iPhone 5

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 7:14 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2013 7:27 PM in response to Theryer

Sometimes electronics just seem to have a mind of their own and do strange things. Best we can do is try and get them working again. Have you tried a reboot, hold both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears and it restarts?

You can also try restoring and if iTunes is not recognizing it, go by way of recovery mode, described in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212 as that usually make iTunes see the device. That will end up taking it back to factory condition so if you have a backup you need to use that to restore your content.

Jul 9, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

That's the problem, i can't reboot, because like i said in the first post:

I can't reset it manually because the sleep button is faulty and doesn't work anymore, it gave me problems almost a month after i bought the phone, gradually taking more and more attempts to lock the screen, until a point where i had to gently pull it against a hard object like a table...and then it stopped completely.

I thought i've seen somewhere a solution where you had to hold down the power button with the cable plugged into the phone, and then plug it into the PC, so that iTunes would recognize it, but that didn't work aswell.

Could may be a bug of iOS 7? i upgraded it yesterday, maybe it's a weird bug or stuff like that.

Jul 10, 2013 6:10 AM in response to Theryer

First, I missed the power button issue in your original post...that is a hardware problem that you need to have taken care of by the Apple store genius bar, there is no user fix that you can do.

Second, you say you upgraded to iOS 7 yesterday, and this is in the open iPhone discussion group. Unless you are a registered developer you installed a pirated copy of iOS 7 since it is not avaiable to the public. Doing that will brick the iPhone since you do not have the codes to activate unless you are a registered developer. There is NO work around for this. If you are not a developer you must wait until the public release and see if your iPhone can be reactivated, or pay the fees and join the developer program and get the codes to unlock the iPhone.

Third, after installing a pirated copy of iOS 7, beta software, there is no point in taking the iPhone to an Apple store genius bar for repair or replacement...as soon as they determine that software is on the iPhone they will have nothoing more to do with it...that is the policy of Apple, installing unauthorized beta software voids the warranty and prohibits any further help from Apple.

The best thing you can do at this time is join the developer program by going to the Developer Forum towards the bottom of the forum topics on the left side and find out how to join. Doing that you can get the codes to unlock the iPhone and then proceed to get help with the faulty power button issue.

That is the only avenue open to you other than letting your iPhone sit until the public release occrus sometime this fall.

iPhone 5 not turning on or charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.