Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will Apple allow me to trade in a CDMA iphone 5 for a GSM iphone 5?

my family is thinking about switching carriers, but I just bought my iphone from our current carrier, Verizon. Will Apple let me trade it in for a GSM iphone that I an use for TMobile?

iPhone 5

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 10:01 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2013 11:55 PM in response to tmi2013

You can only return it to the Apple Store if it was originally purchased there. If you are within the timeframe for the Apple Store return policy, you can return/exchange with no questions asked. In the US, the policy is within 30-days if your iPhone is contracted to a carrier or 14 days if your iPhone is unlocked. With a carrier-locked iPhone plane to spend some anount of time dealing with the carrier to get your upgrade status reset.

Think of an auto mechanic's service bay. You tow in a a disabled car to have it fixed. When the repair is done, the mechanic hands you the keys to a different model with a different engine and different option package. Great deal right? Unfortunately, real life does not work this way.

If you want a different model, your solution is not in the service department, but on the sales floor. The Apple store is no different.

Jul 10, 2013 3:34 AM in response to tmi2013

APple provides all hardware support in the US and most other ccountries.

WHat you describe above is a warranty replacement of a device purchased from Amazon. This is normal.

THis is not what you are asking for.

AS already stated, Apple does not provide a trade-in program. If the device is outside the return window, well it and buy the model you desire.

will Apple allow me to trade in a CDMA iphone 5 for a GSM iphone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.