Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restrictions for the use of MapKit in a paid iOS6 app that caches map tiles.

Can anybody advise what restrictions exist for the use of MapKit for a paid app that caches map tiles for off-line use. The app is targetted at iOS6 and above. I haven't found any clear answers on this,

Is there a cost associated with using map tiles if you charge more than $0 for the app? I understood that this could not be done for free in iOS 5 due to Google licence terms.

Also, under the iOS6 Apple Maps licence, can map tiles be cached for off-line use?

Many thanks to anyone who has the answer to these questions. A link to a document from Apple would be fantastic.

Geoff

(sorry about posting this in the wrong forum previously)

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 2:13 AM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2013 6:02 AM in response to SnowPaddler

I am unaware of any API that allows you to cache map information for offline use. MapKit has some automatic caching that always takes place, but you can't control it. With Apple, the cleareat answer is in the APIs. If there is a method that does something and isn't deprecated, then you are free to use it. If not, you are on risky territory. Maybe you are being really clever and Apple will give you an award, or maybe Apple will give you a rejection.

There is no cost associated with using MapKit.

There is a capability to use MapKit to serve your own imagery. You could hack that up for offline use if you really wanted to.

Jul 10, 2013 3:42 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for the answers etresoft. I am currently using the MapBox API which does provide off line maps and has an almost identical interface to MapKit. The problem with this is that map tiles are not free, so you need to either host your own map tile server or sign up to someone who does at a fee.

I'm glad to hear that there is no cost for the use of maps in paid apps with iOS6. Given this, I'll do some more research into off-line tile caching before I commit to moving my app to MapKit.

Restrictions for the use of MapKit in a paid iOS6 app that caches map tiles.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.