Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a QuickTime movie with the new Canon T5i camera in iMovie 9.0.9.

Help needed creating a QuickTime movie with the new Canon T5i camera in iMovie 9.0.9. The project is done and looks good...I need help understanding what settings need to be set so I can make a QuickTime movie in the highest quality that would fit the ratio of 16.9 to be sent out to my YouTube page. I played around with some of the settings and have not come with the right setting for the video. I want the highest quality with the lowest amount of megabytes…thanks

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 8:32 AM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2013 12:50 PM in response to dmfett

I would suggest using SHARE/EXPORT MOVIE and choose 1920x1080 (if your source material supports this).

That should work well in YouTube.

If you want to go further with custom QuickTime settings, here are some that should work, but in my experience, it will be no better than using SHARE/EXPORT MOVIE.

follow the instructions below to create a .mov video that will work on YouTube:

In iMovie, select Share > Export Using QuickTime

Next, you may want to check your Options to verify that the following settings are correct:

Video settings

• Compression Type: H.264
  • Frame Rate: 30 is preferred. 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 are also acceptable.
  • Data Rate: Automatic
  • Key Frames: Automatic
  • Frame Reordering: Unchecked

Audio/Sound settings

• Format: AAC
  • Click Show advanced settings and choose Constant Bit Rate as encoding strategy

Other settings

• Size: Choose the original size of the video
  • “Prepare for Internet Streaming”: Fast Start

Jul 10, 2013 1:25 PM in response to dmfett

File size and quality are a trade off. You can reduce file size in several ways, but they all impact quality.

1) Use a smaller frame size (e.g. rather than 1920x1080, use 1280x720 or 960x540)

2) Lower the data rate

3) Increase the number of frames between key frames

4) Lower the frame rate (say from 30 to 15)

Having said that, unless your internet connection is really slow, I would stick with the bext quality.

Creating a QuickTime movie with the new Canon T5i camera in iMovie 9.0.9.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.