Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall recovery partition, Reinstall recovery partition

So while trying various operating systems, I seem to have messed up my mac's partitions (sorry).

I know have a 499.1 GB partition for Macintosh HD and an inrecognizable 649.3 MB partition (used to be the recovery I assume).

Luckily, I created a recovery USB before that happened.

Hiw do I restore everything to factory defaul? (Including the reinstall of the recovery partition). I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz i5 13".

My question being: will a format of the entire HDD and reinstall of OS X work? Will it create the recovery HD on its own?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 13" late 2011 Core i5 2.4 GHz

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 8:32 AM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2014 8:43 AM in response to rroman1811

CCC Carbon Copy Cloner has a utility called "Disk Center" that is included with CCC that will create a Recovery Partition for you. I understand that CCC is not free, but it does have a free 30 day trial.

The "Disk Center" in CCC Carbon Copy Cloner is not obvious or easy to find, unless you know where to look for it (in the Window menu pulldown)... it's easy to miss. Once you find it in the CCC menu system, it is a quick (<5min) turnkey way to create a Recovery HD Partition on any disk, internal or external.

I thought I should share this, since I burned several hours of pain-staking research and experimentation in search of how to create/re-create a "Recovery HD" Partition for my MacBook Retina Mavericks laptop.

FYI: I lost my Recovery HD partition because I used Super Duper to Clone my HD/SSD, and subsequently restored my MacBook at one point. Super Duper has worked awesomely well for me for several years. It clones HDs/SSDs without a glitch, and makes them bootable automatically. The only gap or lack of function I have discovered is that "Super Duper" does not Clone the "Recovery HD" Partition. CCC Carbon Copy Cloner does. So, while I like Super Duper, I'm switching to CCC Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups from now on.

Aug 28, 2014 10:40 AM in response to BillHahn

BillHahn wrote:

CCC Carbon Copy Cloner has a utility called "Disk Center" that is included with CCC that will create a Recovery Partition for you. I understand that CCC is not free, but it does have a free 30 day trial.

The "Disk Center" in CCC Carbon Copy Cloner is not obvious or easy to find, unless you know where to look for it (in the Window menu pulldown)... it's easy to miss. Once you find it in the CCC menu system, it is a quick (<5min) turnkey way to create a Recovery HD Partition on any disk, internal or external.

I thought I should share this, since I burned several hours of pain-staking research and experimentation in search of how to create/re-create a "Recovery HD" Partition for my MacBook Retina Mavericks laptop.

FYI: I lost my Recovery HD partition because I used Super Duper to Clone my HD/SSD, and subsequently restored my MacBook at one point. Super Duper has worked awesomely well for me for several years. It clones HDs/SSDs without a glitch, and makes them bootable automatically. The only gap or lack of function I have discovered is that "Super Duper" does not Clone the "Recovery HD" Partition. CCC Carbon Copy Cloner does. So, while I like Super Duper, I'm switching to CCC Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups from now on.

I too somehow "lost" my Recovery HD. I could probably pin it on a few escapades recently involving my system (Mavericks 10.9.4). But I will try the CCC method you've mentioned, thanks. Question still remains, how did the Recovery HD disappear? I haven't used it and only noticed it upon a restart with the Option key down (to restart on to another partition). Also am one of the public beta testers of Yosemite, not on my boot volume anymore but a separate partition (on it right now). Now that I'm here <g> I thought I'd pose this question since it has appeared on the choices of volumes to restart when using the Option key. Along with what I'd expect there, there is an Installer volume. But if you click on it to restart to it you get a Panic like writing of text from the top left to about middle screen. Cannot tell you what it says because it automatically restarts before I can copy it down. I don't wan to continue to boot into that volume to see what it is saying unless someone really wants to know. Today I am downloading the 10.9.4 Combo in hopes of clearing up these issues. There is more involved in just what I've noted here, but I'm not sure if it is relevant since the "issue" has remained.

Thanks for reading - and for all the good advice I always find here in the Community.

Tom

Aug 28, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Golf25Radioman

Golf25Radioman wrote:

BillHahn wrote:

I too somehow "lost" my Recovery HD. I could probably pin it on a few escapades recently involving my system (Mavericks 10.9.4). But I will try the CCC method you've mentioned, thanks. Question still remains, how did the Recovery HD disappear? I haven't used it and only noticed it upon a restart with the Option key down (to restart on to another partition). Also am one of the public beta testers of Yosemite, not on my boot volume anymore but a separate partition (on it right now). Now that I'm here <g> I thought I'd pose this question since it has appeared on the choices of volumes to restart when using the Option key. Along with what I'd expect there, there is an Installer volume. But if you click on it to restart to it you get a Panic like writing of text from the top left to about middle screen. Cannot tell you what it says because it automatically restarts before I can copy it down. I don't wan to continue to boot into that volume to see what it is saying unless someone really wants to know. Today I am downloading the 10.9.4 Combo in hopes of clearing up these issues. There is more involved in just what I've noted here, but I'm not sure if it is relevant since the "issue" has remained.

Thanks for reading - and for all the good advice I always find here in the Community.

Tom

I have an update of sorts to the mysterious Install disk noted above. This time I rebooted as above (chose the Install disk) and it went into installing Yosemite (guess that's where it was from!). It is from the first beta version (Beta1 I believe) since it installed properly (?) and rebooted and I found the App Store wanting to install Beta2 (?) of Yosemite. Hopefully that disk will disappear from that list when Option rebooting. Right now the App Store is downloading the latest Yosemite (I am booted into that right now). Another note of interest, is that instead of that cryptic Panic like drawing of text over the GUI then rebooting, it rebooted into its Installer. However that Installer got held over and not removed (they are temporary, right?) properly and whether or not that had anything to do with my Recovery HD disappearing. So, since at the moment I'm in Yosemite, I'll have to wait until I get back into Mavericks to do the 10.9.4 Combo on that volume.

Again, thanks for reading/listening...

Tom

Sep 2, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Golf25Radioman

The CCC Recovery HD created the said volume but cannot boot from it. Have been trying to reinstall a clean OS X Mavericks but am getting message "Mavericks cannot be installed on this volume." - - searching for an answer. Just tried to do the install again and it is "being updated by the App Store" - will let you all know what that means.

Tom

Reinstall recovery partition, Reinstall recovery partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.