Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need license to activate?

I'm thinking of getting an older Mac to use for my kids for school. Most of the ones sold do not have install DVDs with them, but since I have a late '06 Macbook and an early '09 iMac (bought one new and one almost new), I have some. Will they work if I need to redo the software from scratch??

I just haven't done this before. I know with Windows, you have the have the license code to activate that version... but with Apple?? Don't I just need to use my Apple ID to activate??

How does this work?? Just don't want to buy something and then need more in order to get it functional...

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 8:55 AM

You need the computer's original disks or a retail package which is newer than the Mac; other computer's original disks won't work. Macs which shipped with 10.7 or newer have a preloaded recovery partition instead of original disks.

No form of activation is needed when using a DVD for the client version of Mac OS X.

(85341)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2013 8:55 AM in response to MomE

You need the computer's original disks or a retail package which is newer than the Mac; other computer's original disks won't work. Macs which shipped with 10.7 or newer have a preloaded recovery partition instead of original disks.

No form of activation is needed when using a DVD for the client version of Mac OS X.

(85341)

Need license to activate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.