Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

0s X Server Down For Maintenance?

After battling the dreaded '403 AccessDenied' error. Now I'm getting this error:

The website encountered an error while retrieving http://localhost/classes/05featuredemo. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

I am using OS 10.8.4, OS X Server 2.2.1

I am having trouble with only one site. The other two are working fine. Everything was working two days ago before I was getting the 403 error. What's going on?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 10:08 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2013 8:25 AM in response to Timothy Stringer

Based solely on that filename, it looks like you're trying to get the PHPExcel library to work.

FWIW, the HTTP 403 status is usually triggered by a file or directory protection error, which usually means that the www user (Apache) cannot read the files in the target directory referenced by the Server.app web server configuration.

That's usually a chown command and a chmod command to resolve, if you're comfortable with the command line. (Sorting this stuff out using the GUI is more work, but also possible.) Here's an overview of chmod and chown and Apache.

Also FWIW, I usually prefer to allow www only read access, but generally configure the web directories to deny write access to the www user, whenever that's possible. This because various web content management systems can be vulnerable and are occasionally breached, and preventing a breached content management system from writing to the web directories can make exploiting and extending the breach more difficult.

0s X Server Down For Maintenance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.