Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best method for backing up macbook air?

Please tell me what would be the best method to back up my macbook air?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 11:05 AM

10 replies

Jul 10, 2013 11:08 AM in response to aronoffdvm

There are a lot of ways to back up your Mac, but the one that is sufficient for most of users is Time Machine > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

You just need to get an external drive and set up Time Machine following the steps of the link above. Time Machine will make automatic, hourly backups, so you won't have to worry about making them yourself. If you want to modify the frequency when backups are created, you can use an application like TimeMachineEditor.

Other options are Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or Disk Utility's Restore feature. The main advantage of these methods is that they create a bootable clone, so you can start up your MacBook from them if the hard drive failed, or if you want to restore your files onto a new hard disk.

If you want more infomration, visit Pondini's website > http://pondini.org

Jul 10, 2013 12:24 PM in response to aronoffdvm

bootable CLONE of entire drive, .... free superduper program.

easy backup ,....... time machine to external USB hard drive.

BEST backup, .......backup your system either way above, but make a SEPERATE copy in a diff file or hard drive of your personal / working files (pics, documents, etc etc etc).

most pros consider ---"back it ALL up" as one thing.....and "backing up (constantly in a diff location than system backup) PERSONAL / WORK files" as another thing

Its easier to work with and find things, and restore (and safer for work one might spend countless hours making) 2 diff ways .......

1. all system -----(everything cloned one or two or three times a year)

2. all working files / work / personal/ banking/ pictures / etc.---- (updated daily, weekly, etc ...)

2 copies is 1, and 1 is none

Jul 10, 2013 12:27 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

PlotinusVeritas, I don't recommend to use SuperDuper. It doesn't make a clone of Recovery HD, and this will give problems to the OP if he/she wants to reinstall OS X or turn on Find my Mac because they need Recovery HD. In the case of reinstalling OS X, Internet Recovery may work, but it will reinstall the original OS X version, He/she will have to do additional steps, so it's not recommended to use that app. Carbon Copy Cloner is better, even if you have to pay

Jul 10, 2013 12:46 PM in response to mende1

Yes, this i know, Since I have nearly 100 HD laying around, when I clone my system, its bootable, and the second HD becomes the defacto recovery

at the very worst, you can reload the OS online. But yes, youre correct, but Superduper is FREE, and CCC surely isnt.

as a "clone it all" option, Superduper is great for HD upgrading and emergency backup for laptop HD. Since laptops HD are prone to failure (not SSD as in the AIR), keeping a cloned backup is a great idea.

But yes, your right, ......I consider a second cloned HD a "recovery HD", ......but not in the sense you imply....... 😉

An ERROR that both superduper and CCC make in a CLONE, however, is they write the BOOT FILES in a diff. location, so if you install the replacement HD after a crash, it will (not 1st time which is always slow) cause slightly slower startup from poweron.......in which case you have to reinstall the OS on the CLONE...........that IS if you care that much about a few extra seconds boot time on your replacement cloned HD.

But LION and MOUNTAIN LION systems *also* have "Network Recovery", which can download and install without a recovery volume.

Jul 10, 2013 5:08 PM in response to carbon_dragon

Oh,I know it IS slower, ....if you research it, its a known fact that the SD clone sticks the boot files in "not in the same" access sectors as the original. Ultimately I recall the average is something like 2+ seconds longer poweron and nearly nobody ever notices it. There are several threads online from "OS gods" speaking to this issue, which to me really is not an issue at all, especially if youre replacing a MAC 5400 RPM with a 7200 RPM HD

Best method for backing up macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.