Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '11 exports look awful

Hi! I've edited a video in iMovie and it looks great when watching it in iMovie itself. But when I export it, using Quicktime, with the highest possible settings, the picture quality is awful, with lots of banding. I was wondering, is this a known issue with iMovie '11 and is the a solution?

It saddens me to think I'm stuck with videos looking like this when the original picture quality is so much better. And I don't feel like paying lots of extra money to buy Final Cut Pro just to make a decent video export, especially since I've already edited the whole video in iMovie. That would be such a waste of time and hard work. 😟 If only I had known before I started editing the video.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help. 🙂 Thanks!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), iPhoto 11

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 11:26 AM

1 reply

Jul 10, 2013 12:44 PM in response to BimboBoy

It could be your settings. Can you tell us what settings you are using in QuickTime?

I would suggest trying SHARE/EXPORT MOVIE in the largest size available. That should produce a good quality movie. In my experience, adjusting the QuickTime settings might help you get close to the same quality at a lower file size, but it is not likely to get you higher quality than Apple's Presets under Share/Export Movie.

If EXPORT MOVIE still gives you bad quality, please post back.

iMovie '11 exports look awful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.