Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad to edit and organise photos.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an effective way of transferring my iPhoto library from my iMac to my iPad so that I can organise and edit my library while I'm away from home. I would then like to transfer my changes back to the iMac when I return home. Any apps / software that make this possible?

Thanks

Mick

Logic Express 9-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 11:59 AM

That is not really well supported.

You can sync your events and albums to your iPad using iTunes, but there is no good way to get your edits back to your mac.

if you have iPhoto on your iPad, you can edit your photos on your iPad, add captions and tag them.

You can share the edited pahoto to iTunes or your Camera Roll. This way you can reimport the photos, with the tags and edits. But the connection to the original photos, evens, and albums in your iPhoto Library will be lost. Syncing to your iPad s essentially one-way. There is no good way back to the Mac.

Regards

Léonie

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2013 11:59 AM in response to micklamm

That is not really well supported.

You can sync your events and albums to your iPad using iTunes, but there is no good way to get your edits back to your mac.

if you have iPhoto on your iPad, you can edit your photos on your iPad, add captions and tag them.

You can share the edited pahoto to iTunes or your Camera Roll. This way you can reimport the photos, with the tags and edits. But the connection to the original photos, evens, and albums in your iPhoto Library will be lost. Syncing to your iPad s essentially one-way. There is no good way back to the Mac.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 10, 2013 1:34 PM in response to micklamm

If I now edit and organise my photos on the iPad is there no way of transferring those changes back to the iMac in iPhotos. Can I do it through an app like PhotoManager Pro?

As I said, you can send the edits back from iPhoto on your iPad, as well as from PhotoManager.

I have not tried PhotoManagerPro so far. The reviews are saying, it very good for organizing the Photos on your iPad, but it has the disadvantage, that it will copy all files that it stores - iPhoto will only link to the files in the Camera Roll and not require extra space.

I cannot find any indication, that Photo Manager will let you sync the albums back, only the photos. So it seems to have the same limitations as iPhoto.

Let's wait, if somebody drops in who has tried other apps.

Sep 19, 2013 8:19 AM in response to micklamm

Hey there!

I have been struggling with moving my iPad edits to my Mac for months and have finally figured a way to at least get that over to my Mac effectively. I went to Italy and loaded all my photos directly to my iPad and made edits on the plane home, but wanted to include them in my main iPhoto library on my computer.

If you go into the iPad iPhoto app, you can read about it in the help topics (it was actually useful for once!) by choosing the Share your photos> Use photos in other apps> and scroll down to the Import photos to iPhoto on your computer topic.

The gist is, open an album from the iPad, and use the export button. Choose iTunes, and it will queue the images. When you attach your iPad to your computer, go to the apps tab once iTunes opens and scroll to the bottom, where you should see an area on the right with your files ready to import. This link has the info from that point.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Because the iPhoto Library is a packaged folder you shouldn't mess with (corruption abounds, apparently), I opted to import the photos to a folder on my Mac, then used File>Import to Library on my Mac to get them in. Kinda multistep, but not too hard. Hope this helps!

--Kait

Using iPad to edit and organise photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.