Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 lock button clicks but that's all it does...

I called Apple (no store near me) and the tech said because it does click, it can't be a harware issue. Thus, if I wanted him to tell me how to fix it I would have to pay up for tech support. Thought I'd try on the forums first.

I have updated to latest ios, restored, etc. Obviously I can work around with assistive touch, but would really like a six month old device to actually just work. (my common wish with apple products, as you can see from my screen name!)

Has anyone had this issue turn out to be a fixable software issue? Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, new Jan 2013

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 12:13 PM

11 replies

Jul 10, 2013 12:38 PM in response to iwishitjustworked

iwishitjustworked wrote:

So, the tech was lying to get my money?

If I'm reading correctly, you called AppleCare. In order for the AppleCare Advisor to give you advice, you need to be an AppleCare client. Yes, there is a charge for that. If the advice turns out to be, "Make a Genius Bar reservation" that would be the excellent advice that you are paying for.

The advisor is correct. Don't call a for-pay service to try to get free service.

Jul 10, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Dirty Vegas

Dirty Vegas wrote:

iwishitjustworked wrote:

So, the tech was lying to get my money?

If I'm reading correctly, you called AppleCare. In order for the AppleCare Advisor to give you advice, you need to be an AppleCare client. Yes, there is a charge for that. If the advice turns out to be, "Make a Genius Bar reservation" that would be the excellent advice that you are paying for.

The advisor is correct. Don't call a for-pay service to try to get free service.

if phone is under hardware wannanty it is an exception and customer does not have to pay anything.

if customer did restore and everything there is not much more troubleshooting that advisor can do.

if customer told him he did restore he should have explained replacement options.

Jul 10, 2013 12:47 PM in response to Dirty Vegas

I called applecare because everything I've read on these boards indicates I have a hardware problem. There is no genius bar available within several hundred miles, so calling was my optiion to start the process of dealing with a hardware issue. However, when I called I was told it was definitely NOT a harware issue. If that is true, I am more than happy to pay for advice to get it fixed. Of course if the advice is available for free in the forums, that would be my first choice.

I understand that lightness of tone doesn't come across in print, probably should have phrased that comment differently. It just seems that Two3s was pretty sure it is in fact hardware. Thus the "thanks I will call back" When, obviously, I will pay.

Jul 10, 2013 2:02 PM in response to modular747

Just to follow up,and hopefully shed light if anyone else has this question...

Those who said call back, thank you for your advice!

I called back, got a very helpful guy named Tony, who was surprised earlier guy had said software issue. Since I don't have an apple store, we are doing express replacement to deal with this hardware issue.

I had to give credit card to start tech consult, but it was not charged when it became obviious we were dealing with a warrantied hardware issue. It does cost $31.03 to do the express replacement, but that is far less than the travel to a store.

thanks again for quick help

iPhone5 lock button clicks but that's all it does...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.