Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you NEED compressor to export in Final Cut Pro X?

Do I NEED compressor to export in Final Cut Pro X? I have a early version of Final cut and now have the Final Cut Pro X trail version. I absoulutly love it! But how do I exort now? Do i have to buy compressor too? The only other option is exort EML..

HELP!

thanks,

-Olivia P

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 12:52 PM

22 replies

Jul 10, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Okpalmisano

Okpalmisano wrote:

I use to be able to go into export then quick time media etc...

Choose share>master file then your codec of choice (I'd probably choose Pro Res 422).

I need to export this wedding video that is almost 1 hour long and i cant export it as a huge file because I need to put it through idvd to put on a 4.3 gb dvd.

iDVD doesn't care how big your file is – only its length (the movie's duration). It will be fine with a one hour project.

Russ

Jul 10, 2013 7:22 PM in response to Okpalmisano

Create a new master file export preset and switch the codec to h.264. The filesize will be about 1/10th. If that's still too big, you can create a preset that scrunches it down even further.

What you want is something that exceeds the quality of a standard definition DVD. iDVD will recompress whatever you give it so give it the best you can while keeping the filesize reasonable. The compromise is up to you. If you ask for recommendations here you could get as many different answers here as you get responses.

Jul 10, 2014 11:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Before what? What are you talking about? What exactly are you trying to export to what format? There are many options available in FCPX without Compressor. You might need Compressor depending on exactly what you want to do.

Yes you DO NEED COMPRESSOR in order to do ANYTHING with FCPX. I will have to edit everything again in Adobe Premiere Pro, something I should have used from the beginning. Thanks for nothing, Apple.

Jul 11, 2014 12:43 AM in response to cmorab81

cmorab81 wrote:

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Before what? What are you talking about? What exactly are you trying to export to what format? There are many options available in FCPX without Compressor. You might need Compressor depending on exactly what you want to do.

Yes you DO NEED COMPRESSOR in order to do ANYTHING with FCPX. I will have to edit everything again in Adobe Premiere Pro, something I should have used from the beginning. Thanks for nothing, Apple.

To Share/Export an FCP X timeline to create a DVD you do not need Compressor.

Al

Do you NEED compressor to export in Final Cut Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.