Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't install or run itunes or quicktime in Windows

First, I own several Macs and one Windows machine. The problem is with the Windows machine (and yes I downloaded the Windows version, hehe).

I've actually been having hard drive trouble with this machine, so this is a fresh installation of the OS, which is Windows XP Pro x64, fully updated as of today. Due to all of my attempts at trouble shooting my hardware problems, I've reinstalled the OS several times, along with itunes and quicktime, and the installations all worked each time (minus the drive failure part, hehe), *except for this time*. Now that I'm using an apparently good drive, I can't get quicktime and itunes to work.

What they do is install, with or without error. If they install with an error, it's a -3 error, or something like that. They never run. I mean, I click on the icons, and all I get is an hourglass, and then nothing (sometimes I get a crash report that is meaningless to me, oh and one time I got an error about some file called run32.dll or something). I can't uninstall the software because whenever I try, it says it completed, but upon rebooting, the stupid quicktime icons are still there (although I think it manages to remove itunes but I'm not 100% sure). There is an uninstaller in the quicktime folder, but even it won't run.

I run Avast antivirus, but I have always been running this and it never caused problems before. I am a low risk when it comes to getting infected with stuff anyway, because I'm very careful when I use the internet (I don't think I've ever seen a piece of spyware before in my life, or a virus), I'm behind a NAT router that has all ports closed, and I've turned off certain network features on this machine that would normally make it highly insecure.

I've tried that Windows Installer Cleaner thing, but that didn't do anything.

I'm not having any trouble with any other piece of software.

Any suggestions? This isn't a huge issue for me, since I have other computers I can run itunes on, but it's really bugging me in a way because it was working fine literally just a couple of days ago. Now that I've reinstalled the OS yet again, though, it won't work.

Windows XP Pro x64

Posted on Jun 9, 2006 9:45 PM

9 replies

Jun 9, 2006 10:12 PM in response to Vicky Bilaniuk

One of the errors I get is a buffer overrun in the Visual C++ runtime library, and another occurs in a window called RUNDLL which says: An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL" c:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime.cpl""

And another one: 0xc0000096 (possibly meaningless without listing the rest of the info, but I don't know what to list)

Jun 9, 2006 10:46 PM in response to Vicky Bilaniuk

hi Vicky!

so this is a fresh installation of the OS, which is Windows XP Pro x64,

this is almost certainly your current problem.

the -3 is indicating a problem with the QuickTime part of the itunes/QT installer bundle. the problem in your case will likely be an incompatibility between Windows Update KB908531 on XP x64 and the quicktime player.

for some information and background on troubleshooting the beast, see:

b noir: Re: Windows XP 64, trouble after install of itunes update

love, b

Jun 12, 2006 10:22 PM in response to Vicky Bilaniuk

hi Vicky!

i'm afraid it's a Windows Explorer vulnerability rather than an Internet Explorer vulnerability.

there is a workaround mentioned in the "vulnerability details" section of the relevant security bulletin:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015: Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution (908531)

(i'm not sure what the implications of that are to the rest of your system, though.)

love, b

Jun 13, 2006 8:10 AM in response to b noir

Oh I see. OK, thanks.

Edit: the workaround was easy to implement. I don't even use anything that depends on that program anyway (webclient).

One more quick question... I've gone into Windows Update (in the browser, that is - not this program that they keep trying to get me to download) and told it to hide that update. I've got my computer set to automatically download and install updates. Since that one is hidden, am I safe from it, if you know what I mean?

Jun 13, 2006 9:58 AM in response to Vicky Bilaniuk

🙂 oh, i know what you mean ... we don't have your specific problem, but the noir household counts itself amongst the ranks of people who had their Outlook Express address books blown up by KB911567.

we've had mixed success with trying to convince Windows Update to stop reinstalling that beast. so we're also planning to implement the following strategy from the latest PCWorld's bugs and fixes column (it appears to be for standard XP, but fingers crossed it should work for x64 too):

Set Windows Update to automatically download patches, but to install them only when you say so. Open the Control panel, choose System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab. Select Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them, and click OK.

then do custom installs of downloaded updates. then we can check to see if the beastly ones have somehow made their way back onto the list of updates that XP wants to install.

( ... there seem to have been a lot of Windows-update-related problems, lately ... but perhaps it's just that a bunch of them are hitting me where i live, so i'm noticing them more ... )

love, b

can't install or run itunes or quicktime in Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.