Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rapidly decreasing space left on hard drive during Time Machine back up! Help!

I have progressively been freeing up space on my Macbook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz (2010 model) and been succeeding. I removed iLife yesterday as I NEVER use it. This morning, I proceeded to do a back of my hard drive with using Time Machine on an USB drive and the hard drive free space went from 137GB to 87GB before my eyes when it was only backing up 512mb worth of different data!

Has anyone had this happen before, any information would be greatly appreciated!🙂

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 4:57 PM

Open Terminal in a Admin account:

Turn TM local backups off: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Turn local backups back on: sudo tmutil enablelocal

Turn TimeMachine off then on again, reboot if needed.

6 replies

Jul 10, 2013 5:59 PM in response to stephmcg

You may be advised by other members to turn that back on. I personally find it a totally useless feature that only cause space problems. Supposedly the local snapshots are deleted automatically if the drive become to full or when you do a real time machine backup. That has not been my experience so I also have it turn off and it will stay that way on my mac notebook.

Best to you and you're welcome.

Rapidly decreasing space left on hard drive during Time Machine back up! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.