Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Melted Screen?

My Macbook Pro tends to run a bit hot around the battery and GPU when I'm watching videos or playing games. I tend to do these activities for extended periods of time. I was curious if by doing so with the macbook closed hooked up to an external display, would all that heat damage the laptop's screen while closed since the screen is so close to all of that heat?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 9:02 PM

5 replies

Jan 28, 2014 6:23 AM in response to myfriendian

NEVER close your macbook pro retina when it works!

In other case it will be spoiled.
I did so and now on my screen a few little melted cavities. It looks like dead pixels but when I investigated them with magnifying I discovered that they are cavities and around each hole is little hills.

I have bought it about 2 months ago so I hope apple service will replace my display for free.

Jan 28, 2014 3:54 PM in response to JinnZest

MacBook Pros work fine in "clamshell" mode. I use mine that way all the time when connected to an external monitor. It is a supported configuration, and used by a lot of folks with not adverse side effects at all. I use mine for simulations and synthesis running in a linux virtual machine. Yes, the fans run and things warm up, but not to the point where physical damage occurrs.

I suggest that you might have some other problem unrelated to simply operating in clamshell mode, but related to cooling.

Remember that you still need to provide for adequate air flow at the back (and sides on a rMBP).

Feb 12, 2014 1:55 AM in response to silvergc

My case is very strange.

My cooling works fine.

When I got first melted cavity I used google and found that some little particles of sand could stick to screen and then be melted to it.

Since that case I started to clean my screen more friequently.

But then in a few days I have found another new cavity. I discovered it with magnifying and discovered that there are no any dust in this cavity. It was clean. Just like display surface cracled.

Once I discovered it I decided to check my guess.
My actions:
1. I cleared display with rag (black one with apple logo on it which I got with my macbook pro retina) very carefully so there was no any dust on it.

2. I cleared whole surface on which keyboard is located.

3. I closed my mac and connect to external display.

4. I loaded CPU for about 20 minutes with about 50% load.

5. I opened mac and discovered new cavity at TOP part! (as you know hottest part is bottom)

6. I touched surface of display near it and it was not hot.

7. I touched surface where keyboard is located near F1-F12 keys. It was about 104-122 F. I know that it could be much hotter with long loading.

Conclusion: I have defective surface of display.

Unfortunately I live in Ukraine and there is no Apple official stories. (I have bought my my in The USA)

But there is some service company which claims that they are authorised service provider http://a-service.in.ua/menus/view/172/remont-mac-book-pro-air/
I got to them and explained them my case.

They answered me that Apple would consider this case as cosmetic damage so there is no reason even to try.

I said that I am sure that we can reproduce it easily and got new melted cavity during research in laboratory.

To that argument they answered that I should ask Apple directly.
So now I am wondering how can I ask Apple directly? How can I prove that my mac gets new melted cavities each time I close it working.

Melted Screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.