Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini and 29inch LG Ultra-Wide

Just bought a 2012 Mac Mini and 29in ultra-wide LG monitor but I can't get to the full resolution of the monitor. Which connection would be best to do this with? Right now I have HDMI-HDMI and the screen looks terrible. Thanks!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 3:10 AM

15 replies

May 27, 2014 4:05 AM in response to awybear

I just bought the LG ultrawide 21/9. The reseller advised me the miniDisplayport to HDMI. No way I could get the screen the way I wanted: in my case that is no split screen, just the desktop spread over the full width of the 21/9 screen without deformation. My MacBook preference display settings spitted out only 'TV' type formats. Resolution was terrible, and the whole desktop image was simply stretched to fit the 21/9 format. The topleft apple icon looked like it had been smashed by a truck. Back to the reseller, who swore that the fault was my old macbook (end 2008 model that I revamped with mavericks and 8G ram, incredible transformation by the way). But I still decided to buy a miniDisplayport to Displayport cable, the reseller looked at me the way resellers look at any stubborn, stupid and ignorant customer. My reasoning, knowing how apple does things (I worked there for 7 years) : if a mac sees HDMI, it thinks it's a TV, so it spits TV formats. If it sees a full Displayport connection, well, it thinks it's a display, and spits out display formats. And for sure, bingo, I got all the formats I wanted in Preferences, the mac automatically selected 2560x1080. Looks great.

May 27, 2014 4:34 PM in response to awybear

LG 29EA93-P: 29 Inch, 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitor | LG USA

User uploaded file

The easiest and least expensive connection to achive the higher resolution for that monitor is with a simple Mini DisplayPort to Display Port cable.

see > NewerTech NWTCBLMDPDP06 Mini DisplayPort to... in stock at OWC

Otherwise you will need an expensive Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter and a good DVI-D cable.

see > .Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Mac Mini and 29inch LG Ultra-Wide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.