Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lowering the export time without getting a pixellated fade in Compressor

Hi. I'm exporting a 20 minute-long video made in Final Cut Pro, 1080i shot at 25 frames, in Compressor. The finished file needs to be 640x360 res, with a Video Bit Rate of 672 and an Audio of 128.

My settings in Compressor are MPEG-4 for the file type, specifically an H.264 Baseline Profile one, I've got Multi-pass selected and the audio is in Stereo. Under Frame Controls, my resize filter is set to Better, with output fields to Progressive and Deinterlace set to Better. I've ticked Adaptive Details and the Rate Conversion is set to Better.

My original settings were a lot more standard than this, with Fast selected where Better is now selected for example, and the video ended up looking presentable, but with pixellation for every cross dissolve, fade or even movement of the camera. I have looked through a few help topics on this forum and others, and the solutions I came across were to change the settings to the ones I have listed above, what I currently use.

The problem now is that the video never gets exported! I click Submit, and the loading bar appears, moves a little, and the finishing time just goes up and up and up. Last time I tried to export the finishing time said 15 hours!

How do I fix this without ending up with a low quality video?

Thanks in advance.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 3:07 AM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM in response to PokeyStix

To begin, what is the purpose of this job? How are you going to use it?

Open the preview window and mark a short range of representative footage with in and out points. Make your adjustments in the Inspector>Encoder until the output file is acceptable image quality.

That is a very low data rate for a frame size that big. Why does it have to be 672 (and BTW, there is no way to get it to come out exactly at that rate)?

What is the source material? Are you changing the frame rate? If not don't use Frame Controls for Retiming.

The higher you crank up Frame Controls settings the longer the encode process. Was your source file interlaced? If not, leave that alone.

Try Main Profile and see whether the results are better.

Russ

Lowering the export time without getting a pixellated fade in Compressor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.