Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MB Pro (Mid-2010) doesn't go away from the cancel/prohibitory sign in the attempted boot from USB. It is a brand new HDD that I installed. What do i do?

I bought it with Snow Leopard and installed Mountain Lion before the HDD failed. I added the Install DMG file onto a USB after erasing and partitioning the USB. Now, when I first tried to boot the mac, the USB showed up and it asked me for my wifi password and then after running for a few seconds, it showed the cancel/prohibitory sign. Now when I turn it on, the Apple logo comes on with some loading sign and then it goes into the cancel and prohibitory sign.

What could be the solution? This is a brand new HDD...perhaps a faulty connection? Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 5:58 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2013 6:58 AM in response to rkuriakose

Use your 10.6 install disks instead and zero erase the ENTIRE drive, then install 10.6, then Software update to 10.6.8, then AppStore, then option click on purchases and download 10.8 and install it.

How to reformat a used Mac

How to erase and install Snow Leopard 10.6

If you can't install 10.6 then there is a problem with the drive or possibly the disk, get a new disk from Apple and try again.

My MB Pro (Mid-2010) doesn't go away from the cancel/prohibitory sign in the attempted boot from USB. It is a brand new HDD that I installed. What do i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.