Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card Reader only works on restart

I have a 21.5in Mid 2010 iMac running OSX 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion). If I start it with an SC card in the slot, the card is mounted (and the drive and card show up in Disk Utility). If I eject it then re-insert it, it won't mount (and doesn't show in Disk Utility). On restart, it shows up again.

I have read and tried various suggestions on the Apple Forums, and none of them have worked.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 8:19 AM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2013 12:16 AM in response to mahalomark

There is known problems with the 'insertion' switch being dicky on the 2010/2011 models of iMac, Mini and MBP (I've got the MBP 2011).

I've had this too. Cleaning it worked for a while. Well not cleaning it, but gently inserting a toothpick and 'stroking the left hand side, bottom' of the slot unsticks the switch which registers the 'insertion and removal' of the card.

But the reboot is strange...

Is anything showing up in the logs? Use spotlight to find 'Console', under system files, look for system.log and you should see when the card is inserted and removed (for the first time after boot).

If you can spot the entries, make a note of them in textedit or notes, so you know what they look like, remove the card, wait a minute or two and reinsert it.. Go back to the log and what do you see?

Another issue is that some card manufacturers, make the cards slightly too short.... I've had a few of these too!

I had to literally push them in, and pull them out a few mm until they were found.

Annoying yes, but this is why standards are made 😀

COuld you give that a shot and see how it goes?

Jul 27, 2013 9:14 PM in response to AdriHD

I examined the system log as I unmounted the SD card (visible since a reboot) and found the information about the unmounting of the card. When I re-inserted the card, nothing happened. No further log entries. Here is the log (with an interesting error about the LSOF being 'left open':

Jul 28 14:05:31 marks-imac com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.volume.removable.unmount' by client '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] (100013,0)

Jul 28 14:05:31 marks-imac com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.volume.removable.unmount' by client '/usr/sbin/diskarbitrationd' [16] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] (100002,0)

Jul 28 14:05:31 marks-imac mds[40]: (Error) LSOF: File '/Volumes/CANON_DC' (fd=10) left open on device 16777221

Jul 28 14:05:32 marks-imac com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.volume.removable.unmount' by client '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] (100013,0)

Jul 28 14:05:32 marks-imac com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.volume.removable.unmount' by client '/usr/sbin/diskarbitrationd' [16] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app' [171] (100002,0)

SD Card Reader only works on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.