Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not sign into iMessage

Problem just started happening. iMessage works fine on iPad & iPhone, but not on iMac. Get this Message:

User uploaded file

iMac has always had the credentials before.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Airport, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV2

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 8:27 AM

13 replies

Jul 11, 2013 12:53 PM in response to Joe Gramm

HI,

If, for some reason, the Mac loses contact with the iMessages server then the .plist will think you are logged in but the Server will not.

Then when you try to log back in again the .plist (logged in state) does not match.

You are then "protected" on the basis the login might not be you.

Deleting the com.apple.imservice.imessage.plist will delete your Apple ID and the "aliases" from the Mesages app.

The com.apple.iMessages.bag.plist is the one that holds which server you are in contact with.

User uploaded file
8:52 PM Thursday; July 11, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 11, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

These are the .plist files I deleted:

com.apple.imessage.bag.plist

com.apple.imessage.plist

com.apple.imessage.plist.lockfile

I was then able to login to Messages, but shortly thereafter received this email, but of course Messages still works:

Dear Joe,
Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iMessage on an iMac named “iMac Core 2 Duo”.
If you have not recently set up an iMac with your Apple ID, then you should change your Apple ID password. Learn more.

Jul 12, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Joe Gramm

Hi,

That email is now standard when an Apple ID is added to iMessages iOS or Mac version)

User uploaded file
9:34 pm Friday; July 12, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 9, 2013 1:19 PM in response to robcoles

Hi,

This issue does seem to be now limited to OS X 10.8.4 updates and seems to relate to something about IMAgent.

This can be solved by Shutting down Messages and opening Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and finding the entry for imagent (Lower case and no icon)

Highlight the item and use the Quit option top left and confirm Force Quit.

Restart Messages.

Whilst you may have seen imagent restart itself in the Activity Monitor this seems to "clear it" for Messages.

This does presume that you have already had Messages and FaceTime working since OS X 10.8.2 when the Serial Number issue came to the fore.

If you have a computer that you have updated straight to OS X 10.8.4 and missed out earlier versions then check the Serial Number show up.

Open System Info (Hold the ALT key whilst using the Apple Icon menu

Or open About this Mac in the Apple Icon Menu and clicking twice on the current OS level line (It will change to the Build Number (a count for the OS level again) and then to the Serial Number).

It can be missing if the logic board has been replaced in a repair or refurbishment.

It needs to be "Flashed" back to the board at an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider.

User uploaded file
9:19 pm Friday; August 9, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 16, 2013 11:09 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Serial number seems fine. (Serial Number G8******XYL)

I primarily use Messages on iphone + ipad, so can't be sure of the exact point it stopped working and I'm pretty sure I've been through every OS patch and release in order since I had my machine.. Did rebuilding primary drive onto an SSD + replacement memory at some point, but that was done with same disk image ( timemachine based restore)

I did use Messages Beta.. before it was released.

imagent restart hasn't helped.. but imagent does look "odd" .. CPU usage spikes massively after clicking sign in and before the error .

Any other suggestions ?

<Edited By Host>

Restarted imagent a 2nd time with messages open this time, and after a log delay I'm signed in again!

Could not sign into iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.