Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac makes fan noise when it turns off or goes to sleep

Hello,

I bought a new iMac from bestbuy during the last week of april 2013.

Recently when I turn the iMac off or put it to sleep, it begins to make a loud fan noise at the back above the place where the power goes into the iMac. However, the moment I turn on the computer the sound goes away.

I left the iMac on for a few hours thinking the noise will go away on its own but it didnt. Now I always have to turn off the iMac and take the power out of the wall in order for it to not make noise.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve my problem? I have tried the SMC reset and the Pram reset however it does not seem to do the trick for me.

iMac, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 3:03 PM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2013 3:37 PM in response to Desibaba117

I would recommend resetting the SMC at least 3x back to back, sometimes it does not work the first time. If you don't know how please navigate to https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603 for detailed instructions. If that does not help, you have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone coverage or if you already bought AppleCare (VERY STONGLY RECOMMENDED) this will extend your 1 year warranty to 3 years and includes 3 years of phone support. If you are in the USA you can buy it from B&H Photo for as little as $122 vs. at BBY or Apple for $169.

Imac makes fan noise when it turns off or goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.