Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an app for the iphone that will disable the cell phone from working when owner is driving . Texting and Talking on the phone are major distractions when driving. I work for a large corporation who takes the safety of their employees seriously

Is there an app or technology that is compatable with any of the iphones that will disable the phone from working while owner is driving. Texting and Talking on the phone are huge distractions and our company takes safe driving seriously. Thanks for the help.

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 4:31 PM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2013 6:42 PM in response to Melchel

Then publish a policy stating that using any portable electronic device while driving a company owned vehicle or a personal vehicle on company time will be punishable by immediate termination... And actually follow through on it.

The technology to do what you want has been around a long time. It's called an "off switch". Or, in the case of the iPhone, 'power button, then slide to power off'.

Jul 21, 2013 3:16 PM in response to rphunte42

I'm glad you don't see it as any more distracting than talking to another person, but extensive study has shown that it is much more distracting than talking to another person in the car. And texting should be so obvious that it doesn't deserve comment. But we believe what we want to believe, and don't let facts get in the way of our beliefs.

Aug 3, 2013 3:42 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

rphunte42 wrote:

Texting is possible, safely, if one has Siri.

Also disproven by actual research. In fact studies have shown that Siri is worse, because you have to concentrate to put your thoughts into words first.

And how is that worse that talking to a passenger? Surely not as bad a distraction as a baby crying in a car seat directly behind the driver. I suppose some people thing a driver can avoid all distractions, if so, take out the radio, make all cars single occupant, and don't allow billboards, or advertising signs of any kind. All these things are distractions we could do without, right?

Aug 3, 2013 7:09 AM in response to rphunte42

It's worse than talking to a passenger because the passenger can see road and traffic conditions and pause at times the driver needs to pay more attention. You're also talking a natural language flow to a passenger, but you need to think about how to abbreviate your message when texting.

This is of course theoretical, but actual accident statistics show that a large percentage of accidents are associated with cell phone use, even with voice recognition and hands-free tools. Including the 8 month old who was killed in North Bergen, NJ a couple of days ago by a bus driver who was texting and ran into a light pole.

Babies crying in the back seat are also a distraction, but you seem to be saying that because one type of distraction is dangerous we should allow other types of distractions. How about talking on a cell phone while driving with a baby crying in the back seat and while drinking a cup of coffee? Each distraction adds to the risk; additional distractions don't cancel each other out.

Aug 3, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Melchel

What I've never understood is why so many people feel that every phone call need be immediately answered, and why every text or email requires their immediate attention. Texts and emails can be replied to at any later time one chooses to do so. And for voice calls, there is this wonderful invention known as the answering system or service that has been around on cell phones for a very long time.

I do not use my cell phone in the car, period. I used to use a bluetooth headset, but have not used even that in over 3 years.

If it rings, the caller can leave a message, to which I will listen and reply the next time I am parked somewhere. And I reply to texts and emails on my schedule, not someone elses. Why do people feel they must be such slaves at all times to the rings, beeps, whistles or other obnoxious noises of their mobile devices? Even people who use their devices intensely as part of their work often need not answer every call or every message immediately (although many will claim they must, but that is just simply not true much of the time - their ego makes them feel they must, but reality is that nothing would really be altered if they actually waited to answer).

Is there an app for the iphone that will disable the cell phone from working when owner is driving . Texting and Talking on the phone are major distractions when driving. I work for a large corporation who takes the safety of their employees seriously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.