Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't delete my iCloud account.

I got a new iPhone 5. I have it set up and everything. I changed my Apple ID email address a couple of months ago. The only thing is that on this phone, iCloud has the old Apple ID. And every time I go into Settings > iCloud, it asks me for the password of the old Apple ID. And since that Apple ID doesn't exist anymore, I can't put the password. And since it won't take the password, I can't sign in to iCloud. Since I can't sign in to iCloud, I can't delete the account to enter the new email address. Can anybody help me with this?

iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 3:15 PM

10 replies

Sep 14, 2013 8:42 PM in response to gabrielfdz

Provided your e-mail address is still valid, you simply create a new Apple ID associated with it (e.g. you were using xyz@yahoo.com and then changed it to abc@gmail.com so that it became your active ID, you open up a new account using your e-mail address, xyz@yahoo.com), then enter the password of it on your phone when it asks for a password either for "Find My Iphone" deactivation or as icloud password.

It is very simple, but if your previously associated e-mail address is not usable anymore, well...

Sep 19, 2013 12:32 PM in response to stoksoz

I had the same problem, was driving me mad and the FaceTime thing didn't work for me. As Stoksoz says, if your old email that' it's asking you to use as an id is still in use (the actual email account I mean) then you're in business. However you don't need to create a new account. Just sign out of your Apple ID on the device, log into your current Apple ID on your laptop, go to manage Apple ID, edit user id. Then change it to your old address (the one you can't sign into on iCloud) and save. Verify the email and all that... Then when you go to sign into iCloud on the device defaulting to that old id, BOOM... You can sign in. Delete the account and then change back to your current email address. Easy when you know how. If you don't have access to that old email account then you're on your own :-/

Sep 20, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Adizo

Even though I brainlessly installed iOS 7 the other day and have been sweating ever since over this new vs old Apple ID problem in relation to iCloud, a variation on Adizo's suggestion appears to have worked for me.

The hangup in changing things seemed to be that I could not delete the old iCloud account with the wrong ID without first using my old apple ID plus a password to delete 'Find my iPhone.' The new ID and new password just did not work there. Neither did the old ID and old password.

I had not thought of simply using the old ID and the newest password. Amazingly, that combo worked--and I was then able to delete that account. When I reopened iCloud, there was a blank (instead of the greyed-out old ID) allowing me to sign in with my newest ID and password. After that, everything there ran without a hitch.

Whew! (at least for now)

Sep 29, 2013 12:41 PM in response to joseffromcze

joseffromcze wrote:

Tried this too, but it said my Apple ID or password is wrong

Go to https//appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Tap edit next to the primary email account, tap Edit, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iPhone on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https//appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

I can't delete my iCloud account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.