Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled water on my MacBook Pro

Several hours ago I spilled a few ounces of water on my MacBook Pro - on the keyboard and on the hinge. I took the standard recommended steps - turned it off, turned it over and tried to drain it, let it sit flat on paper towels for an hour or so. I then took it to the Apple Store where a Genius removed the back of the machine, found some water near the battery and got rid of it. And that was all he would do for me - he said it would cost me $1,200 for them to do anything more than that. He recommended I let it sit and dry for at least a couple of days and then see if it powers up and works.

From all I have read, and given the fact that there was water near the battery, it seems to me there is a good chance I am going to have problems, if not now then down the line. A reputable computer repair shop near me (4.5 stars on Yelp; lots of good reviews) will open up the machine right now and clean out any moisture for $200.

I think this could be money well spent. Sure - I could power it up in a few days and it could work fine, but problems usually arise down the line as corrosion sets in. Seems to me like a good idea to suck up the $200 and possibly salvage the computer now rather than sit idly by while the moisture causes damage.

Does anyone disagree with that line of thinking? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 7:11 PM

Thank you for the advice. It has been turned off and unplugged since it happened and I don't plan to plug it in or try to power it up for at least another 2-3 days. As mentioned in my original post, I took it in for evalation by the Genius Bar and they removed the back panel, got rid of some water that was near the battery and said that is all they can do unless I wanted to spend $1200 for them to do a full evaluation (which I won't do since I can pretty much buy a new machine for that).

So I guess the crux of my question was whether it makes sense to spent $200 right now for an independent repair shop to do a full evaluation right now, without waiting 2-3 days for it to dry out.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2013 7:11 PM in response to steve359

Thank you for the advice. It has been turned off and unplugged since it happened and I don't plan to plug it in or try to power it up for at least another 2-3 days. As mentioned in my original post, I took it in for evalation by the Genius Bar and they removed the back panel, got rid of some water that was near the battery and said that is all they can do unless I wanted to spend $1200 for them to do a full evaluation (which I won't do since I can pretty much buy a new machine for that).

So I guess the crux of my question was whether it makes sense to spent $200 right now for an independent repair shop to do a full evaluation right now, without waiting 2-3 days for it to dry out.

Jul 12, 2013 2:05 AM in response to DSG43

Spill Cleaning

And, don't think that just because it was two teaspoons and not a glassful that there is a difference.

Some liquid has just spilled into your Mac. What should you do?

Do

• Immediately shut down the computer and unplug the power cord.
  • Remove the computer's battery (if you can)
  • Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.)
  • Lay the computer upside down on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out.
  • Note what was spilled on your Mac.
  • Bring the computer into an Apple store or AASP as soon as possible.

Don't

• Don't try to turn it back on. Liquids can help electrical current move about the components of your Mac in destructive ways.
  • Don't shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
  • Don't use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).
  • Do not put in a bag of rice in as much as rice will get into the ports and optical drive and do further damage.

Jul 12, 2013 8:46 AM in response to steve359

So I spoke to one of the AASPs in my area - they told me that if the spill was pure water and not coffee, beer, juice, etc., then there won't be corrosion problems over time. (My spill was pure water.) In other words, if I let the machine dry and try to power it up and it works OK, then I should have no problems develop in the future. They would charge $80 for a full diagnostic (good thing I didn't shell out $200). So I think I am going to give it a good 3-4 days to dry out and then see how it is.

Jul 12, 2013 9:05 AM in response to steve359

I hear you. The $80 is not really an issue. I would really like to know right now what the damage is, if any. Problem is that I can't actually get the machine to the repair place until tomorrow AM anyway due to work commitments. Otherwise I would have spent the $80 and gotten it done.

Eating ham sandwiches is not an option because I am muslim.

Jul 15, 2013 10:06 AM in response to steve359

Conclusion: I brought the machine in to my local AASP (Lapin Systems in Chicago) on Saturday morning and after a couple of anxious days they called this morning to tell me that it is completely undamaged. They took it apart and ran every component through their tests and they all passed with flying colors, and they booted it up and it is working perfectly. So I could have foregone the diagnostic but I still think getting it done was the right way to go.

Glad my machine survived this scrape and I will never bring it anywhere near a glass of water or any other liquid again.

Spilled water on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.